PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Doors on Cabinet...need advice

John Scane
04-23-2007, 1:53 PM
Hi everyone

I am building a cabinet out of solid mahogany and maple. It will have 2 doors on the front that will slide and I am looking for the best way to make/ attach them.

The doors will be frame and panel style and one will slide in front of the other to open. Are there any glides that you have tried or any other advice for hardware ? Or should they just rest in a slot ?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
John

frank shic
04-23-2007, 2:32 PM
here are some options on the woodworker's hardware website:
http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/groupid/Sliding%20Door%20Hardware/catid/KV%20Sliding%20Door%20Hardware/showprod/1

the plastic guides are pretty easy to install.

michael merlo
04-23-2007, 9:39 PM
Hi everyone

I am building a cabinet out of solid mahogany and maple. It will have 2 doors on the front that will slide and I am looking for the best way to make/ attach them.

The doors will be frame and panel style and one will slide in front of the other to open. Are there any glides that you have tried or any other advice for hardware ? Or should they just rest in a slot ?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
John

hi john - as a matter of fact i just finished a few cabs spec'd w/ sliding doors - for a freind - i bored (2) 3/8"w x 1"l x 1/2" deep pockets in the top and bottom rail edges with a router - and installed little 3/4" dia oval rollers (found in most hardware stores that are used for shower doors) i bored the holes off the rail centerline (towards the face) to allow enough meat to the rear to countersink the little 1/2" screw that holds the roller in. i do this before assembling the doors cause i think it's easier
then i made a top and bottom track by routing appropriately spaced 1/4" slots into a 1 1/4" x 5/8" piece that attaches with screws - (at least one track must be removable to assemble the whole thing) - there may be other and easier ways to accomplish this but it is about the smoothest functioning that i know of. my late partner, rube goldberg inspired it.

hope this helps.

"man who says it cannot be done, must not disturb he who is doing it"