PDA

View Full Version : Too Good To Be True??

Tyler Howell
04-23-2007, 1:08 PM
Any experience with the Senco 14.4 V DuraSpin Auto feed screw gun:confused:
Acme has them on sale for $129. later this week.
Very happy with my other Senco nail guns but this is a differnt animal

Greg Ladd
04-23-2007, 1:35 PM
Tyler,

I have the tailed version of that tool-huge timesaver and very consistent screw depth. . I wish I had the battery powered one though. The cord can become a nuisance but the cordless version was was $100 lmore when I bought mine

The collated screws are more expensive but work very well. I can easily put up a 4 by 8 foot piece of drywall on a ceiling in less than 5 minutes by myself, with a lift, from start to finish.

I can't imaging going back and hanging drywall the old way...this is just too fast. I have also used it to fasten down OSB subflooring sheeting. Very fast and less crawling around on my hands and knees.

Greg

Tyler Howell
04-23-2007, 2:12 PM
Thanks Greg,
Had the old dw screw gun for years and 4 houses till it died.
I may give this a try, can't beat the price if it is the real deal.
Thanks again.

Frank Snyder
04-23-2007, 2:22 PM
Hey Tyler,

I have the battery powered Senco screw gun. I have mixed feelings about mine...when it feeds the screws correctly, it works great. But about one out of ten screws seem to incorrectly engage the bit and the screw gets wedged between the contact ring and the drive mechanism. It takes a few seconds to pry the screw out and realign the belt, but this is the type of event you don't want happening when you're holding a 4x8 sheet of drywall over your head with your other hand. You have to make sure that you're holding the gun absolutely square to your work, otherwise the screw slips and you get a jamb. It also doesn't handle high torque very well, so if you're drive screws into dense Doulglas Fir, it'll want to slip off of the screw head (or strip it) and you'll have to send it home with your regular drill.

The other thing I was sorry to see is that Senco started using a proprietary bit for this gun which uses little plastic lock sleeves which get lost easily. So if you're ever at a job and you strip the bit, you can't just drop in any standard hex-shank bit, so you need to keep a supply of these proprietary bits with you.

Since you're a fellow Festool junkie like me, I'd consider Festool's $88 FastFix depth drive chuck if you own one of their drills. I'd trust this arrangement over my Senco gun. I also had good luck using my impact driver with a drywall screw bit.

Frank :)

Jim Becker
04-23-2007, 2:33 PM
Isn't Acme a grocery store?? :D

Andrew Williams
04-23-2007, 2:36 PM
I thought it was a coyote supply house

Frank Snyder
04-23-2007, 2:40 PM
I thought it was a coyote supply house

Too funny! :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Per Swenson