PDA

View Full Version : I know what my summer project is:

Scott Coffelt
04-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Just ordered 30 Jeld-wen windows for the house, so in about 30 days I will get to start removing the old ones, adding additional framing as needed (old ones were an odd size, so I went standard), and installing. I may have to hire the installation on the second story, especially the 5x5 picture window. Then new front and rear entry doors. My old windows and doors were pathetic, windows are single pane with storms. All will be aluminum clad on the exterior.

Then when it's all done, it's painting time for the exterior of the house. Triming out the new windows, paiting a number of rooms.

In the mean time, it's redoing a number of landscape beds as we had cement continous edging done this weekend in our back yard. So much for a quite summer of golf and relaxing.

John Schreiber
04-23-2007, 1:09 PM
My maintenance workload isn't that heavy this year, but I know the feeling. I want to do creative work in the shop, but instead I've got to mow the lawn one more time.

frank shic
04-23-2007, 2:37 PM
scott, i did vinyl replacement windows last year and it's actually fairly easy although i would SERIOUSLY recommend getting some help if you're also putting in new sliding doors. don't be like me trying to lift a 100# door into the rough opening and then having to call your wife to come back home to help you get it in! hopefully your old windows will pop out easily and not require hammer bashing like mine did.

Scott Coffelt
04-23-2007, 2:46 PM
I have help lined up for the windows, may have Lowe's install the door, depending on the cost... I have my limits, at some point it hits the break even point and I say, for that I might as well get help and install myself. It's not the "it's too hard to do thing" but more the "I only have so much time so I need to farm something out to get done in a reasonable time thing".

Scott Coffelt
04-23-2007, 2:52 PM
scott, i did vinyl replacement windows last year and it's actually fairly easy although i would SERIOUSLY recommend getting some help if you're also putting in new sliding doors. don't be like me trying to lift a 100# door into the rough opening and then having to call your wife to come back home to help you get it in! hopefully your old windows will pop out easily and not require hammer bashing like mine did.

The windows should come out fine, just remove the inside and outside trim, then sawzall the nails and it should fall out. I have a number of windows that will require me to add some framing in order for the new windows to fit. I don't expect too much touble, just the time it takes to remove and prepare for the new. My plans are to start out with the easy ones (smaller ones) first, then build up the level of complexity and size. I have a bunch of 36x72 to go it with some having transoms on top of those. The bigger windows I will plan on removing the sash trim and popping out the sashes for easier handling. I expect regular trips to the local landfill transfer station.