PDA

View Full Version : Fence alignment ?

Al Willits
04-23-2007, 9:32 AM
Finally broke down and bought a good finishing blade for the brazilian cherry I'm making the door frames out of.

I got the 40 tooth WW2 and actually read the directions that came with it, seems they like the blade up higher than I normally run, and this caused a fair amount of sawdust to shoot up off the back of the blade.

Reading further I see they mention fence alignment as being a possible cause, so I checked and did have a bit to much toe-out at the back of the fence.
Reduced it to the suggested amount and it got much better, if I go any futher I'll be losing some of the toe out that is reccomend to help keep binding down.
With the blade about a 1 to 1.5" above the wood, will I have some sawdust shooting up anyway?
Or should I try taking a bit more out of the toe out?

What's comng out now isn't a lot, but I end up wearing a bit of it and didn't have that with the blade lower.
tia

Al

Jamie Buxton
04-23-2007, 10:54 AM
My take is that you should set the saw up for zero toe-out. Then all the cutting action happens at the front of the blade, and the cut edges are straight. Use a kerf-width splitter like the micro-jig to prevent the kerf binding at the back of the blade. http://www.microjig.com/MJ%20Splitter.htm