PDA

View Full Version : Miter Guage track

Richard Holub
04-23-2007, 5:16 AM
I have an old Craftsman 10" table saw and I am thinking of replacing the miter guage for the second time. Sears does not offer a big selection of miter guages so I was thinking of going to adifferent company for a guage. GUESS WHAT???? Nothing fits a Craftsman!!!! Any ideas as to how I can get either a good quality miter guage to fit my Craftsman track or how to enlarge the track to fit another STANDARD model? Can I change the track into a "T" track somehow? I ahte to spend $$$$ on a net tablesaw. Not because of the cost but because I will probably never match the new saw to fit my extended router table and other attachments.

Rob Luter
04-23-2007, 5:54 AM
Try an Incra. I picked up one at Woodcraft for my TS3600. The gauge was adjustable to fit the slot. Or are you saying your Craftsman doesn't have a slot?

Art Mann
04-23-2007, 11:11 AM
It would be easier to carry the bar of a standard after market miter gauge to a machine shop and get them to machine off a few thousandths than to modify the saw channel.

Lee Schierer
04-23-2007, 1:56 PM
I have an old Craftsman 10" table saw and I am thinking of replacing the miter guage for the second time. Sears does not offer a big selection of miter guages so I was thinking of going to adifferent company for a guage. GUESS WHAT???? Nothing fits a Craftsman!!!! Any ideas as to how I can get either a good quality miter guage to fit my Craftsman track or how to enlarge the track to fit another STANDARD model? Can I change the track into a "T" track somehow? I ahte to spend $$$$ on a net tablesaw. Not because of the cost but because I will probably never match the new saw to fit my extended router table and other attachments.

It isn't clear what your miter slot looks like. Craftsman saws had two different styles. One was a T-shaped slot and the other was a standard 3/4" wide slot for a rectangular bar. The slot on my Craftsman measures exactly 3/4". The bar on the miter gage is a little undersized at .745. I shimmed the miter bar with some .005 thick UHMW tape and have a good slip fit with no slop.

The Delta tenon cutting jig fit perfectly as have other jigs I have purchased.

glenn bradley
04-23-2007, 2:53 PM
I ran an Incra on my 1950's and on my 1970's Emerson/Craftsman saws. What is the width of your miter slot?

Curt Harms
04-23-2007, 4:09 PM

I had an early '90's Craftsman "3 h.p." contractor saw. I bought some UHMW miter bar material wanting to make a crosscut sled. It didn't fit. I bought a Delta tenon jig. That didn't fit either. I ground the miter bar on the Delta jig down so it would fit. What I recall is that the C'man slot is exactly .75". Most accessories use .75" bars expecting the saw miter slot be a few thousandths larger than .75" I believe the incra miter bars are slightly less than .75 with expandable bushings. If the bushings are not expanded they will fit a Craftsman/Ridgid saw. If the bushings are tightened/expanded they'll properly fit Delta/Grizzly/Powermatic/rest-of-the-world. I have the incra 1000se and am quite satisfied with it. I don't think I used the Incra 1000se on the Craftsman saw. I think at some point CraftsmanRidgid saws began to come with miter slots that accepted standard miter slot accessories. I don't know when that happened.

HTH

Curt

James Carmichael
04-23-2007, 5:07 PM
Richard,

I bought an old Emerson-built craftsman saw recently and was able to get a Jessem MitrExcel (sp?) to fit by lightly scraping 1 side of the miter slot with a round-nose turning scraper. Cast iron scrapes very easily. The slots miked just a hair under .74 (my old RCBS calipers only go to 1/100") and at minimum width the bar I think is just a hair over .74.

Brian Dormer
04-24-2007, 12:06 PM
I beleive the Incra miter bars are made a little small to accomidate these older saws. A call or email to Incra Customer Support (with a micrometer measurement if possible) should clear up any questions.

George Heatherly
04-24-2007, 1:23 PM
I have a craftsman contractor saw from 1989. I had to file the bar on my Delta tenoning jig to make it fit and my Incra miter gauge is almost too tight to be useful.