PDA

View Full Version : Help! My laser is whistling at me!

Leigh Costello
04-23-2007, 12:27 AM
I have a problem with the air assist on my Epilog Mini 24 45w machine. The air flow is restricted somewhere and I cannot find where the restriction is. I have not taken anything apart - mostly just hoped it would go away. Now, the air assist is hardly blowing and there is a definite air leak sound, like a piece has popped loose. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it? I have switched air compressors back and forth and this only made the noise more noticeable. Of course, this happened Friday night, after Epilog was closed, and my limited laser repair knowledge consists of checking external connections. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2007, 8:27 AM
I have a problem with the air assist on my Epilog Mini 24 45w machine. The air flow is restricted somewhere and I cannot find where the restriction is. I have not taken anything apart - mostly just hoped it would go away. Now, the air assist is hardly blowing and there is a definite air leak sound, like a piece has popped loose. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it? I have switched air compressors back and forth and this only made the noise more noticeable. Of course, this happened Friday night, after Epilog was closed, and my limited laser repair knowledge consists of checking external connections. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I'd start by removing the cover from the x beam. Under there the coiled section of tubing is probably the mosy likely place to be subject to abrasions that may have worn through.

Dave Jones
04-23-2007, 8:58 AM
I'd start by turning the laser off, then turn the air assist on, lift the lid and listen. You may be able to hear the leak.

The mini-24 has the air come in from the back panel through a connector. Then a coiled hose from there to the right end of the X arm. Through a fitting to another hose that goes under the X arm cover to the lens assembly. Through the metal pipe there down to the opening under the lens where the air comes out.

Either of the two hoses could have come loose. Or either of them could have a crack in them that is leaking. Or your hose going from the compressor to the back of the laser might have come loose or have a crack in it.

With the laser off and compressor on, if you move around you should hear where air is coming out.

The cover over the X arm gives you access to that hose and the attachment to the final metal hose by the lens. The right side cover on the laser gives you access to the other hose and the connector on the back of the machine as well as the fitting on the X axis arm.

Mitchell Andrus
04-23-2007, 8:58 AM
Old antique car trick: (checking for vacuum leaks)

Hold a piece of hose to your ear and place the other end at any suspected spots. You'll hear it loud and clear.

It's likely a linear split, though to see.

Leigh Costello
04-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Okay, I am going to try to locat the leak as you all have suggested. I will let you know what I find and all that. Thanks guys!

Rob Bosworth
04-23-2007, 10:23 AM
If it is the noise that is bothersome, I would turn the compressor off.

I would guess one of the hoses have come out of one of the fittings. I think m mots of the fittings on that machine are just push in fittings. Give a little tug to each junction point, to see where it has come apart. Once you have found it, just push the tubing back into the fitting. Push it all the way, then give it a little tug to make sure it is seated.

Peck Sidara
04-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Leigh,

If you haven't already figured it out, we've now been open for 2.5 hours. Calling one of our techs will lead to a simple solution.

My suggestion is to remove the back panel. From there you'll see the plumbing for the air assist. Do you have a solenoid? If so, the solenoid is designed to leak air when not in use. So if that's the case, it's possible that you don't have or accidentally configured the machine to have air-assist off during raster/vector or both. The statement above is dependent on firmware and whether the solenoid is in place.

If you remove the back cover and see nothing but connectors and air assist tubing, follow the tubing from the back to the right side of the machine (with machine turned off and right side panel removed) and disconnect at each point of the air-assist plumbing in seach of the leak.

Eventually it'll lead to the I-beam cover which should then be removed to inspect the coiled x-axis tubing that leads to the metal nozzle below the lens.

The solution should be a simple one. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leigh Costello
04-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Peck,
I called and got great assistance from tech support. And, yes, the solenoid is there and so the technician helped me to reset the air assist settings. Now I am just checking in to let everyone know that I am going full steam again.

Thank you so much everyone. I had no idea that I had inadvertantly touched the wrong combination of buttons and will now know how to fix this if it should happen again.

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanks:D