PDA

View Full Version : New Wardrobe

Lee Schierer
12-30-2003, 8:41 AM
Some of you will recall the dresser designs I posted on the design forum several months back. I appreciate everyone's input on the design.

Well here is the finished project. I will be delivering it this week to the new owner, my son-in-law. The dresser is made of solid Red Oak and finished with three coats Deft Semi-gloss clear wood finish. The drawers are made from 1/2" poplar and dovetailed on all four corners. The drawers are mounted on steel track roller style drawer slides. The two interior shelves are fully adjustable. The raised panels and drawer fronts were all made on my table saw with the face cuts being made using a router. The design is my own and was made to match a headboard and ladies dresser I had made previously. My local source for wood knobs had gone out of business, but I was able to locate the style knobs I needed from a cabinet hardware supplier in Canada. The dresser stands 75" tall and 44" wide. It will fit in the back of a Ford Explorer once the top trim piece is taken off.

I plan to take better photos once I get it out of the shop and into a room where there is more space.

Dick Parr
12-30-2003, 8:47 AM
Very Nice Lee. I love red oak. I guess I better, I have about 3000 bf of it to use up. :D

Bob Lasley
12-30-2003, 8:55 AM
Lee,

Looks good. I'll bet your son-in-law will be pleased.

Bob

Noah Alkinburgh
12-30-2003, 9:07 AM
Lee,

Looks great! Glad it all came together for you. Looking forward to chatting with you about how you ended up fixing the panel problem.

Noah

Jim Becker
12-30-2003, 9:26 AM
The wardrobe turned out great, Lee. Your SIL is pretty lucky to have a custom cabinetmaker on call!

Happy New Year!

Terry Quiram
12-30-2003, 10:37 AM
Lee

Outstanding piece of work. Connie says "wow, that will hold a lot of stuff make me one".

Terry

Charles McKinley
12-30-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi Lee,

Another wonderful piece.

Happy new year!

David Perkins
12-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Looks nice Lee!
Has anyone had any luck putting mirrors on the inside of the doors?
Daughter would like one with mirrors.

Brad Schafer
12-30-2003, 12:06 PM
nice work, lee.

b

Jerry Todd
12-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Lee,
I love it. Red oak is my favorite. Outstanding craftmanship & design.
Jerry

Tom Sweeney
12-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Hey Lee,
Man that turned out great. Excellant job all around I'd say. I hope to be building a similar looking EC in the not too distant future. I hope it turns out half as nice.

Lee Schierer
12-30-2003, 1:27 PM
Looks nice Lee!
Has anyone had any luck putting mirrors on the inside of the doors?
Daughter would like one with mirrors.

It shouldn't be too hard to put mirrors inside the doors on the back of the panels. There is about 1/4" recess. I may mention the idea to my daughter and her husband and see what they think. Some mirror clips would hold the mirror in place. I could even make them from oak. If I hang a mirror, I would probably use 1/8" thick glass to keep the weight down.

Good idea!

For those that are interested. There is about $350 in material in this dresser. It took probably 60 hours to make. I will take orders, but the price is pretty high. :p

Jason Tuinstra
12-30-2003, 2:36 PM
Lee, this is one nice piece of furniture! Great job. Thanks for sharing.

Eric Naessens
12-30-2003, 4:20 PM
Beautiful dresser, Lee - congratulations on a job well done. Thanks for posting the pics.

You mentioned that you had about $350 in materials. If you don't mind me asking, how much of that was lumber (number of board feet and cost per BF)? My wife has family in PA, and I've been considering if it would be worth a road trip to see them and pick up some wood while we're there.

Lee Schierer
12-30-2003, 6:21 PM
Beautiful dresser, Lee - congratulations on a job well done. Thanks for posting the pics.

You mentioned that you had about $350 in materials. If you don't mind me asking, how much of that was lumber (number of board feet and cost per BF)? My wife has family in PA, and I've been considering if it would be worth a road trip to see them and pick up some wood while we're there.

Okay, I don't know how many board feet there were, I buy my lumber finished on four sides from a wholesale outlet for building contractors. In the dresser there were 20 feet of 1 X 4 @ $1.18 per foot; 55 feet of 1 X 5 @ $1.82 per foot; and 85 feet of 1 X 6 @ $1.98 per foot. There are also 45 feet of 1/2" poplar 1 X 6 @ $1.16 per foot. Bear in mind that you can get rough lumber cheaper around here, but this is all cabinet grade select lumber with out a single knot or defect. I don't own a heavy duty planer and really don't care to invest the time in milling all that lumber down when I get the quality I get. I also get to reject any pieces that aren't the same color as the others. This is kiln dried and virtually warp and cup free. I had one piece bow about 3/16 in an 8-9 foot length after being in my shop for over 2 months.

Chris Oakley
12-30-2003, 8:59 PM
Wow, that is incredible Lee. Good work.

John Scarpa
01-02-2004, 5:03 PM
Lee,
Very nice work. I'm sure your SIL is very happy with her new wardrobe.