PDA

View Full Version : Monster HF Tool

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2007, 8:08 PM
Well finally got some turning time this weekend after 3 to 4 weeks of not being able to even get to the shop. It is not finished yet as I just glued on the cedar collar. It is wormy Hickory. 8" tall and 5 1/2" across. I will finish it with Minwax Antique Oil when I finally get it done hopefully next weekend as I will be out of town again. The monster HF tool is a dream to use. Solid as a rock. I am hoping I can get to do some more soon.

I am posting a couple of pictures just to keep Fitz off my back.:D;):rolleyes::cool:

Glenn Hodges
04-22-2007, 8:12 PM
Thanks for the picture. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

Corey Hallagan
04-22-2007, 8:29 PM
Nice one Bernie, can't wait to see it finished!

Corey

Jonathon Spafford
04-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Comin' along real nice!!! Can't wait to see her finished!

Bob Hallowell
04-23-2007, 8:09 AM
Bernie that's gonna look nice, I do see we do things differently. I truned and hollowed the whole piece then I made a collar and glued it in that way you can make you boring hole alittle bigger for us beginners and close er' some with the collar.

Bob

Mark Pruitt
04-23-2007, 8:44 AM
That's looking great Bernie. Maybe Ken will leave you alone for a day or so.:D

I'm curious as to what will be your first step in shaping the collar. I'm guessing a forstner bit in the tailstock:confused: to make the initial opening, although I know that's just one of a bezillion ways.

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Bernie Weishapl
04-23-2007, 9:55 AM
That's looking great Bernie. Maybe Ken will leave you alone for a day or so.:D

I'm curious as to what will be your first step in shaping the collar. I'm guessing a forstner bit in the tailstock:confused: to make the initial opening, although I know that's just one of a bezillion ways.

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Mark I just bore the opening with my Ellsworth Crown PM. I open the hole up enough to get my small scraper inside to smooth it out some. Very seldom even when I start hollowing a HF do I use a Forstner bit. The old PM gouge works great.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have to be out of town for 3 days and thought if I got it roughed then put the collar on it would have time to stablize by the time I get home.

Barry Stratton
04-23-2007, 6:54 PM
Looking GREAT Bernie! Good luck getting that one done.

I am posting a couple of pictures just to keep Fitz off my back.:D;):rolleyes::cool:

And I have to ask, why? he don't post pics of his "fantasy" projects he tells us about:D