PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Sycamore-Critique Requested

Keith Burns
04-22-2007, 3:06 PM
Haven't posted much lately, been busy. This is a piece of Spalted Sycamore. It is 9-1/2" dia. x 4-3/8" tall. The top opening is 2-3/8" dia. and the foot is 1/7/8" dia. The walls are 3/16". Finished wit several coats of Antique Oil and all 3 steps of the Beall Buff. Thanks for looking and for your comments.

Shane Whitlock
04-22-2007, 7:58 PM
Looks great Keith. I like the form and the lip is perfect. Beautiful wood with a great finish.

Shane

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2007, 8:04 PM
Keith it is beautiful. Wow. I really like the form and finish. You did a great job on it.

Nancy Laird
04-22-2007, 8:05 PM
Keith, I find nothing to criticize about this piece--it's beautiful.

Nancy

Neal Addy
04-22-2007, 8:29 PM
Keith, this is all wrong. It should be sitting on my mantel. That would definitely help it a lot!

:cool::D

Tom Sherman
04-22-2007, 8:34 PM
Keith that is absolutely awsome great form and wood.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2007, 9:10 PM
Keith........I came back and looked at this a half of a dozen times.

This is a beautiful piece and I really can't find anthing I'd change on it if it were mine.

There is an optical illusion in the photos taken from slightly above, IMHO. You look at the left side of the collar and it looks like the collar makes a real sharp concave curve and yet you look at the right side of the collar in the same photo and you can tell it doesn't. Then when you view the side shot, it obviously doesn't. It makes a graceful sweeping curve. I looked at that thing quite a few times before my mind figured out what my eyes were seeing and why....

Nicely done!

Martin Shupe
04-22-2007, 9:13 PM
Since you asked for a critique, I was going to make a joke with a top ten list of things that are wrong with your piece. However, it is just so beautiful, and perfect, that I can't even joke about it. Well, actually, it could be better if you made it out of cherry!:eek: Just kidding, the spalted sycamore is fascinating to look at, and your form is stunning.

I am not much of a turner, yet, but pieces like yours are truly motivational and inspirational. Well done.

Jim Ketron
04-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Beautiful piece and wood Keith!
Nice Job!

Dominic Greco
04-22-2007, 10:19 PM
Keith,
I have to say I'm impressed! The shape is perfect. As is the finish. The first photo makes it look like the top is flatter. But that's just a trick of the light.

I've worked with Sycamore before and found it to be nothing but trouble! You've not only made something beautiful, but made it from very finicky wood!

Curt Fuller
04-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Keith Old Boy, you've done it again! It looks about perfect to me. Why don't you post something really ugly so we can sling a little mud?;) ;) :eek:

Jonathon Spafford
04-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Can't see a thing wrong with that piece! It is simply gorgeous with the curved opening and the nice shape... and the wood is an outstanding piece! You do some beautiful work!

Mark Pruitt
04-23-2007, 8:36 AM
That's an excellent HF Keith! You ask for a critique......I am trying to think what I might have done differently, and the only thing coming to mind is a collar, but I'm not even sure that a collar would enhance this piece much. There is so much going on with the figure of the sycamore itself. Maybe a tiny collar...just enough to help define the opening.

I've just ordered a hollowing rig (stealth pre-gloat) and I can only hope to someday approach the outstanding talent you've displayed with this piece.

Dennis Peacock
04-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Nicely done Keith. I've looked and looked....I can't find anything to do different on this piece. Very, very nice Keith. :D

Steve Schlumpf
04-23-2007, 2:35 PM
Beautiful HF Keith! I have looked at this a number of times but can't find anything that I would even suggest as far as change. Great looking wood, the finish highlights the form, lip has just enough height to add to the flow of the form. Seriously nice work!

Keith Burns
04-23-2007, 5:20 PM
Thanks all for your kind comments !! Your encouragement is appreciated !

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-23-2007, 8:55 PM
Well, Kieth............................................. ............ You ASKED for it!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................................... Fantastic!

Spent half and hour trying to find something to critique. Couldn't find any!

Bruce

Joash Boyton
04-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Very nice piece, with some very nice grain. Great finish too! The only thing I can see that might look better, is for the shoulder to be a little more rounded off....looks a little sharp from here.

JMHO:)

Joash

Mike Ramsey
04-24-2007, 9:03 AM
Very Nice, great form...the only crit from me is the sides look dull
& scratchy on my pc, it's looks to be from the glare of the lights, or
maybe you soaked it to long in your DNA bath :rolleyes: .

Christopher K. Hartley
04-24-2007, 2:38 PM
Ditto everyone else! Next time leave us something to critique.:D :) Beautiful job!

Jason Slutsky
04-24-2007, 3:06 PM
I love this piece Keith. You really complimented the wood with the form. I've never seen the orangy/red spalting before...black of course and heard a bit about greenish tint. Is that something common to the Sycamore?

Jason

Glenn Hodges
04-25-2007, 6:02 AM
I am not a picky person, knowing how much work and ability it takes to make a piece like this, but I was ready to critique this as requested. I like it as you have made it. That is my honest critique.

Jeffrey Fusaro
04-25-2007, 1:13 PM
nice form, keith.

very elegant.

the form and finish compliment the wood very well.

great photos, too!