PDA

View Full Version : Plwood & walnut bowls

Ken LaSota
04-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Here is my first attempt at gluing plywood to make a bowl(stolen idea from someone on the forum)I placed 3 pieces of walnut in between and learnd a lesson, glue the pieces together before you sandwich them otherwise they seperate like you see in picture #7 .The last bowl is from a scrap of maple.Enjoy and as usual comments welcome.The bowls are finshed with mineral oil and beals buff with carnuba wax. the first bowl has a light walnut stain, I didn't like the look so left the other natural.The first bowl measures 6"x 2 1/2" the second bowl is 6" x 2" and the last bowl is 7 1/2"x 3 1/2"
Ken

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2007, 1:16 PM
Those some mighty fine bowls Ken. Wouldn't think you could turn plywood but it does turn pretty nice. Nice job.

Paul Engle
04-22-2007, 1:36 PM
Way cool Ken, the maples turn :eek: out very nice. I really like the plywood ones tho, ladies at work have a sewing group and always looking for unusuall sewing boxes , I will have to try what you did. Great look thanks for sharing:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2007, 2:23 PM
Nice looking bowls Ken! Was the sanding of the plywood difficult or use a lot of sandpaper? I'm wondering about the effect of the glue?
Again..Nice bowls!

Ken LaSota
04-23-2007, 8:23 AM
Ken this was 5 ply baltic birch plywood sanding was at a minimum. Thanks for looking.Ken