PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 3520b disassembly

roy knapp
04-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Well i want upgrade to the Powermatic 3520b and all set to put the order in BUT.
The machine weight is just a bit over 600 lbs assembled and once off the truck it has to make it down 4 concret steps and make a 90 deg. turn and thru a opening 30" wide go another 25 ft. then up 1 step and then 16 ft. more to its place of use.

This cannot be done assembled , so i was thinking about removing the headstock, tailstock. banjo and the legs to move it.

So my question is: Would this be a good idea since the lathe was factory assembled and setup and has anyone with this lathe or the next model up had this problem and how did you handle it.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Reed Gray
04-22-2007, 12:30 PM
I had to maneuver my PM into a tight place, by myself (we didn't have a turning club then) and took it apart at the woodcraft store to get it into my van, hand trucked the pieces into the shop, and reassembled it there. Some of the lock washers for attaching the legs to the bed needed to be replaced as they were a bit overtorqued at the factory, but it has served me faithfully for 7 plus years of abuse.
robo hippy

JerHall
04-22-2007, 1:02 PM
The 3520b comes disassembled. You should be able to carry it down in pieces with two strong guys. I believe the Headstock comes on the bed, but it could be removed to lighten that load. Use sawhorses with blocking to rest the bed on and screw the legs on. Then the headstock and tailstock. It might help to have three guys to assemble it all, to to lift and one to guide.

Pat Salter
04-22-2007, 1:03 PM
My only concern would be the headstock and making sure it would be lined up correctly afterwards....other than that....can't you just get Scotty to "beam" into place??:D good luck.

CPeter James
04-22-2007, 1:06 PM
The headstock slides along the bed and alignment is not an issue. It take 2 very strong people or thee is better. I just did one with only two of us and it was a struggle. Three or four would be better.

CPeter

Chris Barton
04-22-2007, 3:37 PM
I had to maneuver my PM into a tight place, by myself (we didn't have a turning club then) and took it apart at the woodcraft store to get it into my van, hand trucked the pieces into the shop, and reassembled it there.

If you carried the bed by yourself I would be terrified to run into you in a dark alley or anywhere else for that matter...;)