PDA

View Full Version : wood drying

Rich Stewart
04-22-2007, 10:29 AM
I just bought a piece of wood from a guy on Ebay and when I got it I found the entire hunk of wood encased in what appears to be wax. So, I am curious, if a chunk of wood is encased in wax can it ever dry? The seller is very reputable and I feel he feels he is doing the right thing. It seems as if I could keep this chunk of wood for several eons and it would still be green when I started to turn it as there seems to be no way for the moisture to escape.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Rich

Jim Becker
04-22-2007, 10:52 AM
Turning stock is generally sold "green" or only "semi-dry"...and that is what you want. The coating keeps the material from cracking prematurely from uneven moisture loss.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Rich...I have another thread going....concerning drying green wood. So far the best suggestion I've been able to come up with......Chicken bones, or turkey bones..from the dark meat of the bird.....rolled on the floor immediately in front of your lathe.....with your right hand touching the lathe you turn clockwise circles around your lathe while your left hand tugs on your ear as you chant curses or chant..."IMMAWANTINGMAYO" at the same time.:rolleyes: :D

Personally I don't know the answer to your question. Theorectically, I'd suspect it should be green but ..............?

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Rich I have gotten several pieces off the "big bay". They seal the whole piece with anchorseal or greenwood seal. It doesn't seem to hurt anything and all that I have gotten like that have never had a crack in them. I just turn them as normal then DNA and dry as usual.