PDA

View Full Version : Did I break my new 1442 ?

Roy McQuay
04-22-2007, 8:36 AM
I can't get my speed control lever to speed up my lathe. I turned the speed down to as slow as it would go for an unbalanced blank and now it won't speed back up. The handle won't turn, I actually tilted the lathe trying to move the lever. I wanted to ask before I take the cover off or go back to Woodcraft. My inexperience overwhelms me at times. I just got the lathe about a week ago.

Al Wasser
04-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Did you change speeds with the lathe off? If so you may have messed it up. The 1442 must be on to change speeds. I hope I'm not telling you something new. Mine can be a bit stubborn to change when it has been sitting a few days especially if it is cold

Jim Becker
04-22-2007, 10:48 AM
To be specific about Al's comment...Reeves Drive systems for speed control require the machine to be running when you change speeds. If this was the case, try setting the lever back to where it was before you shut it off, restore power and make your adjustment. No guarantees...

I personally don't like Reeves systems because invariably, one leaves the machine in high speed when they shut down for the day, they come back later and mount a large blank and flick on the switch. Not good from a safety perspective. ALWAYS check the speed setting at the beginning of the turning day and make any adjustments before you start work or mount a new blank.

Don Fuss
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Roy, you may have already tried this, but while it's running, try pushing the lever slightly to the left even at its slowest speed. You should hear a slight click. After that, try changing speeds up. Mine does that at the slowest speed.

Roy McQuay
04-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Roy, you may have already tried this, but while it's running, try pushing the lever slightly to the left even at its slowest speed. You should hear a slight click. After that, try changing speeds up. Mine does that at the slowest speed.Don, I thought I had done that, but apparently not, your suggestion worked. I didn't feel the click but it is working as it should now. When I slowed it down to as slow as I could get it before, I heard and felt a click. That was when I couldn't speed it back up. I did this with the machine running. Thanks for all the suggestions and saving me taking it back.

Roy McQuay
04-22-2007, 11:33 AM
To be specific about Al's comment...Reeves Drive systems for speed control require the machine to be running when you change speeds. If this was the case, try setting the lever back to where it was before you shut it off, restore power and make your adjustment. No guarantees...

I personally don't like Reeves systems because invariably, one leaves the machine in high speed when they shut down for the day, they come back later and mount a large blank and flick on the switch. Not good from a safety perspective. ALWAYS check the speed setting at the beginning of the turning day and make any adjustments before you start work or mount a new blank.Jim, when I bought this lathe, I asked for suggestions on which lathe to buy and from that, I decided on the 1642. But when I went to Woodcraft, the Festool salesman was there and now I have the 1442 and 2 new Festools with the vac. I would have spent less money with the 1642:) , but I like the Domino and jigsaw.

Scott Donley
04-22-2007, 11:35 AM
There are 6? positive stops controlled by the handle, that is why the handle is hinged, with a new belt the slowest speed stop might be a bit tight on the pin. Just turn on the lathe, put a slight bit of down pressure on the handle while pulling it towards you, that should allow the pin to release. (hoping that you have not bent it )

Neal Addy
04-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Mine was a bit sticky too when I first got it. It took a while to break in. I originally thought I had a lemon but now it moves fairly easily.

Dominic Greco
04-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Ron,
I had a similar problem when I first got my Jet JWL-1236 back in 2000. I took entire headstock back to Woodcraft, where none of the salesmen could find out why it was doing this. I was given a new one to replace it. However, the same thing happened not long afterwards. Enraged, I took this new headstock back to Woodcraft was ready to chew bubble gum and kick butt (and I was all out of bubble gum).:D

I walked into that store, found a saleman and proceeded to outline my problem with this lathe (thankfully I hadn't gotten to the butt kicking portion yet):D . It was at that point that another customer came and introduced himself. He was a retired machinist and had seen this thing happen many times before. He told us that before many machines are shipped from overseas, their internal mechanisms are given a healthy coating of cosmoline to prevent rust. However, if these machines sit too long the cosmoline hardens to a resin like consistency.

He then asked the salesmen if they had any mineral spirits on hand, which they did. He proceeded to rub this on the Reeves Drive pulleys and and mechanism. Soon it was working better than before. Sheepishly I apologized to the salesman who said that it wasn't any fault of mine. Jet should make people aware of this.