PDA

View Full Version : Mini-DV Cameras?

Russ Filtz
04-22-2007, 7:32 AM
Anyone have the low-down on mini-DV cameras? Tape vs DVD vs SD, etc. I've started seeing some combo models with built in hard drives, plus the storage media. Not sure if I like having a hard drive spinning away with all the bumps a video camera will take. Sorry if this has been hashed over. I did a search and only saw a thread from over a year ago.

Jim Becker
04-22-2007, 11:14 AM
The hard drive technology is generally good, but it's still a fixed amount of storage, so you need a computer handy to "dump" your content to. Mini-DV tape is reasonable in cost and provides great quality, for both SD and the emerging HD recording.

I've been very pleased with my Mini-DV camera. (Sony HC90) I record exclusively in 16:9 format and the video quality is outstanding. With the cost coming down, however, I'll try to opt for one of the new HD capable units once I "use this one up". BTW, the software that comes with most cameras, while functional, isn't that great for really editing. Adobe Premier Elements has been great for me in that respect. Easy to use and very capable. Reasonable cost, too. (Even better when bundled with Photoshop Elements with a rebate)

Craig D Peltier
04-22-2007, 11:41 AM
I have a sony dcr-dvd101 mini dvd recorder thats great.Only records 30 minutes I think, but very small and good quality.Sometimes sears open box deals are good for cameras.

Ryan Myers
04-22-2007, 3:52 PM
I have a Canon DV unit, can't remember the model number. Love the thing, it is very easy to use, records in the 16:9 format and has an outstanding picture quality.

It is very easy to transfer video to the PC for editing and then back or burn to a DVD. I haven't found any editing software that I really like, but I might give Premier a try. I have the full blown Adobe Photoshop and that program is awesome.

Be prepared to have a very large hardrive for editing, as I think for every min of video you use up like 4 gig of space just storing it to the drive. Thankfully hardrives are pretty cheap anymore.

Jim Becker
04-22-2007, 8:51 PM
Ryan, you're correct about having drive space available...and you want your "working files" on an internal drive, too...not a USB attached external drive. You need the performance from SATA or other higher-speed attachment methodologies. AND...a lot of RAM. But in the end, you can do really wonderful work on a personal computer with decent software.