PDA

View Full Version : Washer - Fix or Trash?

Russ Filtz
04-22-2007, 7:27 AM
My washer quit on me yesterday and I haven't dug into it yet. I smelled what seems like faint burning rubber from it since the last few loads. It quit full of water in the middle of a cycle right before the final spin. It made what sounded like a loud groaning siren, not a belt squeal or anything.

I'm still betting on a worn belt, or could it be worse? A belt I'm sure I might be able to fix, but anything worse probably better off buying new. It's a Maytag SuperCapacity Performa model.

David G Baker
04-22-2007, 8:44 AM
You haven't said how old or how much use the washer has had. If it has had a lot of use and is over 5-10 years old I would replace it. If you have to call the Maytag Man you may be financially better off replacing it. If you are handy with tools, the washer hasn't had a lot of use and isn't old, I would go for it.
I worked on a Maytag that I owned when I was young, I found it easy to work on and well made. If you don't have a manual you may be able to find one on Maytag's web site. You can do a Google search on DIY washer repairs and get an easy fix.
A newer Maytag is not the same quality that they once were, in my opinion. The older machines would give a family of nine 15-20 years of service.

Russ Filtz
04-22-2007, 9:54 AM
No idea how old. I came with the house I bought a year ago. I would estimate maybe 5-yrs old? Pulled off the back panel, but the motor and belt were up front. Couldn't see the belt condition or how to get the front panel off. Belt possibly accessed from the bottom?

Similar model at Sears looks to be $450. Probably just buy one instead of paying for a service call.

Russ Filtz
04-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Update - was able to access the belt from the bottom. Everything seems to move, but the belt does feel a little hard/slick. Once I emptied most of the water out, it was able to run a spin cycle. I'll probably just try to find a belt and see if that helps. If not, then just buy new.

John Schreiber
04-22-2007, 10:19 AM
I've been in that situation quite a few times, probably we all have. I've been getting things repaired more and more often since I started changing the way I look at the equation.

I figure I'd rather pay a local company and a local technician to do the repair than buy new from some overseas company and landfill the old unit. I'm not sure it makes sense financially, but it's another thought to add to the mix.

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2007, 8:59 AM
I've been in that situation quite a few times, probably we all have. I've been getting things repaired more and more often since I started changing the way I look at the equation.

I figure I'd rather pay a local company and a local technician to do the repair than buy new from some overseas company and landfill the old unit. I'm not sure it makes sense financially, but it's another thought to add to the mix.
On the other hand, the newer models are a lot more efficient, use less power and water.

When I was a kid I remember staying up most of the night handing tools to my father as he fixed the washer. He just about rebuilt it several times, as it got a lot of use with the 9 kids. Learned a lot of new words too.

Dave Fifield
04-23-2007, 2:42 PM
If it came with the house you bought a year ago, you may still be covered by the seller's insurance policy that they bought to cover such eventualities.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-23-2007, 3:27 PM
Burning Rubber is likely just a belt.

However: Washers and Dryers make excellent Tool storage & Table Bases.

Rich Stewart
04-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Go to fixitnow.com. I was able to repair my own Kenmore machine from the directions I got from there. I have the mechanical aptitude of a chimp.

Russ Filtz
04-25-2007, 1:06 PM
Update - got a new belt, but it still did the same thing, made some kind of groaning sound and shut itself off. I assume it's something in the gearbox (if there is one) or maybe the motor. Ended up giving in and buying a new GE unit from Lowes. Installed it myself no problems.