PDA

View Full Version : Big Walnut Bowl

Shane Whitlock
04-22-2007, 3:08 AM
Well its big for me ;) 14 1/2" wide by 9 1/2" tall.

I had the day off today so I got to play in the shop all day :D I originally wanted to turn this into a hollow form but there were two knots on the top that were full of cracks so I decided to make it a bowl instead.

Overall I am happy with the bowl. I like the form and I got a chance to use my new vacuum chuck :D There are however a few sanding marks that showed up after I stained it :( I should of payed more attention... a lesson learned.

I have posted before, during and after pics with more info on one of my photo sites. You can see them by clicking HERE (http://www.pbase.com/shaner/wood_turings)

Comments/Critiques always welcome.
Shane

Mark Cothren
04-22-2007, 7:36 AM
Love that bowl, Shane! Nice work on a hefty chunk of Walnut.

Raymond Overman
04-22-2007, 8:05 AM
Nice work Shane. It's a very nice shape on the bottom and the rim detail looks nice too. It looks like you have a nice consistent thickness to the sides. Beautiful bowl.

How did you work the bottom of it? Vacuum, cole or scoll chuck, or jamb?

Thanks for sharing.

George Tokarev
04-22-2007, 8:05 AM
Overall I am happy with the bowl. I like the form and I got a chance to use my new vacuum chuck :D There are however a few sanding marks that showed up after I stained it :( I should of payed more attention... a lesson learned.

YOU STAINED WALNUT?????????

Your eyes resolve about 300 medium-contrast lines/inch, so wiping with a rag soaked in mineral spirits will generally increase the contrast enough to show those cross-grain lines. Attack them with the grit that made them along the grain for fastest removal.

Those of us who would have to mortgage the house to get a chunk of walnut can only say it looks nice, but YOU STAINED WALNUT????

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2007, 9:38 AM
The bowl is a beauty. I like the form and of course the walnut. What did you stain it with??? Nice job.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2007, 10:45 AM
Shane.........Another beauty! I like it all form, finish and execution!

Jim Becker
04-22-2007, 10:48 AM
That's really sweet, Shane.

Curt Fuller
04-22-2007, 11:08 AM
That's a beauty Shane! I really like that nice deep form.

Shane Whitlock
04-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone :D

Yes George I stained it ...lol ... I will probably end up giving this to my mom for Mothers Day. Her house is full of antique furniture and most of its very dark wood so I wanted this to match. The bowl is sanded to 1200 grit and I should of wiped it down with denatured alcohol before staining, I usually do, but was in a hurry and skipped this step. Its not sanding lines I can see but splotchy areas that required a little more attention than I gave it.

Raymond I used a vacuum chuck. You can see pics of the vacuum drum I made if ya click on the link above in the original post.

Bernie I used danish oil dark walnut finish.

Thanks again,
Shane

Ken LaSota
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Shane great job I love the lip treatment your mother will be proud.
Ken

Mike Vickery
04-22-2007, 11:39 AM
That is a beautful bowl. Great form and stunning grain.

Neal Addy
04-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Beautiful work! That Walnut is wonderful. Very nice curves on the form.

What's wrong with staining Walnut? (rhetorical question)

Scott Donley
04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
Outstanding job on the walnut, I like it a lot :D

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Nice size bowl Shane! Thickness looks really consistant, color is great and I like the little variation around the lip. Nice work!

Glenn Hodges
04-22-2007, 8:33 PM
My goodness what a lovely piece of walnut, and what a beautiful bowl you made from it. Thanks for showing it to us.

Corey Hallagan
04-22-2007, 8:39 PM
Man that is some beautiful walnut. You did it justice in that bowl as well. A real fine piece!

Corey

Jonathon Spafford
04-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Great piece... you really did a nice job on this one! I love the shape and the grain... keep 'em comin'!