PDA

View Full Version : Free wood day

Roy Griggs
04-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Today I took the chainsaw and went to one of my favorite places to get wood...no WoodCraft won't let me in the door with my chainsaw.
The "Green Dump"...Like many urban locations Tulsa, Ok. has a dump site where citizens can take their cut down trees, branches etc. for a small charge, $7 last I took something. All this is turned into mulch which is free to everyone and is used in parks and other public places. They also pull out and pile large quantities of wood that is free for firewood...Or turning wood...
I picked-up a little wood...
roy

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2007, 2:04 AM
Free wood is good! Congrats!

Jonathon Spafford
04-22-2007, 2:09 AM
Great going... do you know what kinda wood ya got??

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2007, 9:48 AM
Congrats Roy. Free wood is good wood. I wish we had one of those here.

Curt Fuller
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
I scavenge the green dump regularly myself. In our town you have to buy a punch card to dump things there and they have a volunteer at the gate to do the punching. He always gives me a weird look when I pull in with an empty pickup and leave loaded. This time of year is particularly good for scavenging because a lot of people are in yardwork mode and getting rid of some big trees that fell or were damaged during winter.

Pat Salter
04-22-2007, 11:57 AM
I picked-up a little wood...
roy

a little huh? hate to see what you think a lot is :rolleyes:

nice haul.

Roy Griggs
04-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Jonathon,
I don't know what all I picked-up although I do know some of what I got...I got some Osage Orange, a piece of what I think is Silver leaf Maple, Oak, some type of cedar (not aromatic). My wood identification skills suck....
roy

Al Killian
04-22-2007, 1:06 PM
Great haul. One question, I was told that you should remove the core(plith) or is that just for makeing boards?

Pat Salter
04-22-2007, 1:49 PM
Great haul. One question, I was told that you should remove the core(plith) or is that just for makeing boards?

Yeah, you should remove the pith for woodturning too. Sometimes you can get away with leaving it in but it's kind of a rare thing. Especially for bowls and platters. I've gotten away with it on small items like boxes but that'a kinda iffy.

Cory Martin
04-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Same thing here. I've taken two truck loads out in the past month.:)