PDA

View Full Version : Trend Airshield Vs Triton Resporator?

Dominic Greco
04-21-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi Everyone
Like everyone, I'm concerned about prolonged exposure to wood dust. I have a dust collector pick up at my lathe and an air filter going in at all time when I'm working in the shop. But I realize that additional protection is sometimes required. I tend to turn more in the winter, when it's not easy to have an opened window or door to allow for ventilation. Plus I've been turning more and more tropical hardwoods recently. I'm not sure if thats doing my sinuses any good! I wear a disposable dust mask but feel that they really don't do that great of a job by themselves.

I always wear a full face shield while turning. So the next logical step would be to combine the two and purchase one of those air filter masks. I'm not ready to buy one just yet. Rather, I'm at the point now where I'm investigating these items to determine which direction to go.

At this moment the two products in the lead are the Trend Airshield (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=4923) ($279.99 at Woodcraft) and the Triton Respirator (http://www.amazon.com/Triton-Workshop-Systems-PRA001-Respirator/dp/B0000DEZO8/ref=sr_1_5/102-8302966-6705764?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1177206847&sr=1-5) ($189.95 at Amazon.com)

Despite the apparent cost difference, I prefer the compact design of the Trend Airshield over the Triton. The Triton with it's "membrane-like" dust hood just looks like a royal PITA to wear! And that umbilical looks like an invitation to catch on something. But that's not to say that the Triton is totally out of the picture! I just need to hear from those of you that use these airshields. So here are my questions:

Which one did you get and why?
How do you rate their performance in regards to getting the dust before it gets in your lungs?
How comfortable are they to wear? Do you wear them all the time when you turn?
How's the battery life?
What limitations do they impose on your work (field of vision, hearing impalement), and how did you adjust to them?
Is there another brand of "air shield" besides these two?
What about the "comsumables" (filters, batteries, spare parts, etc)? How are these priced? What extras (replacement faceshield, spare battery pack, extra charger...) would you recommend getting?
Lastly, has any wood working magazine or website done a comprehensive review of these two airshields?

Thanks in advance!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Dominic'

I'd recommend going to Woodcraft and trying on both of them. My nearest Woodcraft is 110 miles away. I spent 2 hours trying on everything they had (3 different brands including the 2 you listed) before I bought the Trend. Reason it was more comfortable to me. It's primarily a personal thing IMHO.

Neal Addy
04-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Dominic, check here for a better price on the Trend.

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/category/Trend_Airshield

I got my Trend here and am very happy with it. The Triton seemed too bulky to me. I'm not a big guy so I figured the weight would eventually discourage me from using it. Also, I didn't like the idea of an air hose on my back.

The Trend is so light-weight I forget I'm wearing it. Can't tell you how many times I've tried to scratch my nose thru the shield. It seems to do a great job of keeping dust out. Even when turning Cocobola I can't smell the wood. The fan is quiet enough to allow me to hear the turning (very important to me). Battery life is good. It takes 14 hours to charge and you get 4 hours usage (spare batteries are available, of course). Even when I spend a full day in the shop the 4 hour window is more than enough for me. (BTW, I also keep a Jet filtration box running above the lathe to clean the air.)

If you do go with the Trend I recommend you also look at the "spare accessories pack". It'll save you some money on consumables.

Can't tell you which one is better for you but I sure like the Trend myself.

Michael Armstrong
04-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Dominic:
I have the Triton and have no problems wearing it for extended periods of time. The hose and battery pack on the back haven't been an issue (unless you count having to be very careful of your own exhaust system!).

Michael

Ralph Lindberg
04-21-2007, 11:10 PM
First, there is a third option, the 3M HEPA Airstream, (http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=21) yes it is more expensive, but a clearly excellent option.

Airware America also has a better price on the Trend (http://www.airwareamerica.com/index.asp?Category=17&PageAction=VIEWCATS) then Amazon.

You also might want to see what FWW (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00149.asp) says about the Trend and Triton.

Also you might want to know that the Triton is certified to US standards, Trend has never applied, but is certified to UK standards for industrial use.

Me, I use the Trend and recommend it, if you can't afford the 3M

Brad Schmid
04-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Dominic,
Hope this helps.
cheers

Which one did you get and why? 3M Airshield - I wanted NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator along with ANSI approved head/face/eye protection. Also the best possible airflow for positive pressure and cooling (it pumps 10cfm)
How do you rate their performance in regards to getting the dust before it gets in your lungs? I don't think any user including me can objectively answer this question about these products. I'll have to trust NIOSH/MSHA did their job on this one. The dangerous stuff can't be felt, seen, or smelled.
How comfortable are they to wear? No problem, I like to wear it cause it keeps me cool in the heat. Do you wear them all the time when you turn? I'd like to say yes, but I cheat sometimes on small stuff like a drawer pull. Always on bowls/platters/hollow forms and the like.
How's the battery life? 6 hrs to charge, 8hrs in use. Mine does last the 8hrs as advertized.
What limitations do they impose on your work (field of vision, hearing impalement), and how did you adjust to them? None
Is there another brand of "air shield" besides these two? 3M also makes other models, there's probably some other brands out there as well.
What about the "comsumables" (filters, batteries, spare parts, etc)? How are these priced? Not too bad IMHO relevant to their life. What extras (replacement faceshield, spare battery pack, extra charger...) would you recommend getting? extra visor overlays (~$10 for a pack of 10)

Gary Ratajczak
04-22-2007, 7:17 AM
http://woodworker.homestead.com/MiscPage.html

The above link is for the instruction pack I wrote on replacement battery packs. I have had a number of people build - they work really well.

I bought my Trend as I have increasingly bad allergies. I find it comfortable to use while working on the lathe, and don't feel it's top heavy at all.

I wanted to be able to use it for general sawing and routing also, so it meant being able to put it on quickly. Since my price range was limiting, i felt Trend was the best for me.

Very happy with purchase.

Chris Barton
04-22-2007, 7:43 AM
Another solution to the battery issues with the Trend can be found here:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=51711

Terry Quiram
04-22-2007, 7:56 AM
Dom

I use a 3M AirMate. It is 16 years old. My system comes with a hardhat/face shield like the Triton but it also comes with a light weight Tyvek hood that I wear when sanding. I replaced the batteries last year. The batteries will run for a solid 8 hours before needing to be recharged. Yes it is expensive but spread over 16 years my system costs $31 a year. I also have a early version of the Trend Line and I don't like it because it is heavy and makes my neck sore.

Terry

Hilel Salomon
04-22-2007, 8:01 AM
Hi, I'm a sucker for sales, so I bought the Triton when Craft had them on sale (I think it was 199) but I also have two airshields (two shops). I use the airshields five times as often as the Triton even though the Triton offers slightly more protection. The reason for this is that it is inconvenient to have the motor hanging from your waist and since I am constantly taking the darn thing on and off, the airshield is so much more convenient. Now that I have numerous extra batteries (thanks to Gary's instructions) the airshields are my choise. I would also shop around for them. Luck, Hilel.

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2007, 9:41 AM
Dominic I went directly to the Trend factory and bought mine. It was $232. I really like mine and have not had a lick of problems with it. To me it is a lot more comfortable than the Triton by far and not as hot in the summer. I use it no matter what I am sanding. I also have the DC at the lathe and a PSI air cleaner. Makes a pretty good combo.

Jim Becker
04-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Neither of the two are NIOSH approved devices (as far as I know) but will certainly help with reducing nuisance dust and provide a comfortable way to wear a clear face shield full time when turning. I have the Trend and have been very happy with it...so much so that I actually wear it when turning well beyond just initial roughing work as I did with the simple face shield prior. Do remember that you still must wear safety glasses under these things... ;)

Rob Bourgeois
04-22-2007, 1:46 PM
Do remember that you still must wear safety glasses under these things... ;)

Why? Anything to get past the "face shield " wouldnt stop at a safety glasses. Anything smaller would have to fly in figure 8s and corkscrews to get in your eye.

Chris Barton
04-22-2007, 3:27 PM
Neither of the two are NIOSH approved devices (as far as I know) but will certainly help with reducing nuisance dust and provide a comfortable way to wear a clear face shield full time when turning. I have the Trend and have been very happy with it...so much so that I actually wear it when turning well beyond just initial roughing work as I did with the simple face shield prior. Do remember that you still must wear safety glasses under these things... ;)

Jim,

I think the one approval rating that the Trend does have is an ANSI certification. You shouldn't have to wear additional eye protection. On the other hand, you are spot on about the filtration, it's not NIOSH approved...

Dominic Greco
04-22-2007, 8:57 PM
OK folks,
I've gotten an idea that the Trend Airshield is the preferred product so far. But I've gotten feedback on several forums that question it's durability. Several users have complained that the seal wears out, the plastic knobs crack, the face shield develops fissure cracks (without having an impact), and that the slightest of falls will crack the light plastic housing.

The consensus I hear is that these people actually LIKE the Trend Airshield. But they feel that for the price it should be designed much better.

As an mechanical engineer (and a machine designer at that), I take an instant dislike to an under-designed product. I understand that economics must come into play. But not at the expense of practical durability! Especially for a product that is rather expensive.

Add into this mix the fact that I'm not one of the world's most graceful of people (one of the reasons I have rubber mats all over my shop is to cushion a tool's fall!). I'd rather not pay $300 for something that looks like it came out of a supermarket gumball machine and will break when the inevitable happens. Cause it's not a matter of IF I drop it, just WHEN.

However, this is all conjecture on my part. I'd like to hear from those of you who have used the Trend Airshield for several years. Bottom line it for me.

How is it holding up?
Do you feel that the design is deficient in any way?

Jim Becker
04-22-2007, 9:18 PM
Chris (and Rob)...I would be very uncomfortable wearing any face shield I own, including the Trend, without my safety glasses...ANSI cert or not. The extra layer of protection for something that cannot be replaced (my eyes) supersedes anything. The clear material on these face masks is relatively thin (to keep it light and comfortable) and that bothers me to no end. And it also means that the safety glasses are already on my face when the full shield comes off. So, I'll stand by my recommendation...nobody is forced to follow it, but there is no harm in doing so, either.

Hilel Salomon
04-23-2007, 6:25 PM
I was having a bit of problems with my airshield and took out the triton. Here are some observations. The triton is much clumsier to use but......... Whereas, I have to wear something on my head and ears when I use the airshield because of allergic reactions and dust on my hair, the triton offers complete protection. I've also noticed lately that when I'm sanding a lot, when I get back, there's some dust in my nose with the airshield. None with the Triton, It really depends on what personality you have. I'm lazy and disorganized. The Triton needs battery charging, while you can have extra bateries on hand for the airshield. I'm saying that I will probably use the airshield more, but I do think that the Triton is a good investment. Good luck, Hilel.

Charles McKinley
04-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Dominic,

If you have longevity questions look towards the 3M. How long have Terry and Bill G. had theirs?

About the safety glasses, all you have to do to eliminate the protection of the shield is lift it up. It is standard safety procedure to where glasses under any shield like this.

Brad Schmid
04-24-2007, 1:50 PM
Dominic,
Hope this helps.
cheers

EDIT: ***to avoid confusion I just realized I should correct the following typo error - I meant 3M Airstream, not airshield...***
Which one did you get and why? 3M Airshield - I wanted NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator along with ANSI approved head/face/eye protection. Also the best possible airflow for positive pressure and cooling (it pumps 10cfm)
How do you rate their performance in regards to getting the dust before it gets in your lungs? I don't think any user including me can objectively answer this question about these products. I'll have to trust NIOSH/MSHA did their job on this one. The dangerous stuff can't be felt, seen, or smelled.
How comfortable are they to wear? No problem, I like to wear it cause it keeps me cool in the heat. Do you wear them all the time when you turn? I'd like to say yes, but I cheat sometimes on small stuff like a drawer pull. Always on bowls/platters/hollow forms and the like.
How's the battery life? 6 hrs to charge, 8hrs in use. Mine does last the 8hrs as advertized.
What limitations do they impose on your work (field of vision, hearing impalement), and how did you adjust to them? None
Is there another brand of "air shield" besides these two? 3M also makes other models, there's probably some other brands out there as well.
What about the "comsumables" (filters, batteries, spare parts, etc)? How are these priced? Not too bad IMHO relevant to their life. What extras (replacement faceshield, spare battery pack, extra charger...) would you recommend getting? extra visor overlays (~$10 for a pack of 10)

Jason Christenson
04-24-2007, 2:09 PM
This is what I use now AO Safety Woodworker's Respirator #95190 (http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-Woodworkers-Respirator-95190/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=sr_1_1/002-3417285-9203208?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1177437935&sr=8-1). It's cheap, comfortable (even with my glasses) and is NIOSH approved.

Jason

steve johnson
10-27-2007, 6:35 AM
Hi y'all. I put my old cpap machine in a small cabinet above my lathe with a filter on a hole to the outside of the shop. I connected my hose to a hole I cut on the top of a standard face shield. It works fine except in the winter, it pushes cold fresh air over my face. Also, if I forget I have it on, it snatches my head back if I walk a few feet too far.(cpap- continuous positive air pressure, a machine used to treat sleep apnea)
Steve

Jim Kountz
10-27-2007, 8:41 AM
This is what I use now AO Safety Woodworker's Respirator #95190 (http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-Woodworkers-Respirator-95190/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=sr_1_1/002-3417285-9203208?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1177437935&sr=8-1). It's cheap, comfortable (even with my glasses) and is NIOSH approved.

Jason

How does this work out under a full face shield?? Doesnt it get in the way??

Jason Christenson
10-27-2007, 11:35 AM
How does this work out under a full face shield?? Doesnt it get in the way??

I wear it under a face shield almost all the time. No problems at all.

Jason

Bill Fleming
10-30-2007, 11:49 PM
Anyone seen in the flesh the new Airshield Pro? Improvements? I know it is more expensive but does it improve on some of the past weaknesses?

Thx Bill

Jon Lanier
10-31-2007, 12:29 AM
I use a regular shield and this... when I feel the need for a respirator and it does not get in the way of the shield. I sometimes have problems with my glasses though.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/1543/dsc01949so1.jpg

Larry Marley
10-31-2007, 12:57 AM
I bought the Trend 2.5 years ago. Where it all the time when turning. No more dust buggers, no coughing, sinuses are no longer irritated after a day in the shop.
Very happy with the unit. recommend extra battery pack, lens protectors and spare pre and hepa filters, so you can replace and go.
I also wear it when sharpening on the grinder and used it when doing some demolition work on the house.
When the batteries do fail, I will make some Sawmill Creek Amp master 2000's as mentioned in this tread. :D

Ralph Lindberg
11-01-2007, 6:07 PM
I don't believe any have reached the USA/Canada as yet

Steveo O'Banion
11-23-2007, 5:03 PM
If you are REALLY serious about respiratory protection I have a few suggestions.

Throw away those cheap little nusciance dust masks. They are nearly worthless.

Buy your respirator from someone who SPECIALIZES in safety equipment. They can match the respirator to your specific hazard, train you how to use it, actually sell you one that fits your face tight and can do a respiratory physical for you. They should also be able to supply you with replacement supplies.

If you go with a replacement cartridge replace it as per the manufacturers instructions and store it in a sealed bag when not in use.

I prefer the forced air myself.

A qualified construction safety supply company would be a great resource. I used several when I worked in construction and manufacturing.

Steve

Greg Just
11-24-2007, 8:02 AM
Question - do you guys wear your respirators all the time or only during sanding? I typically only wear a dust mask when I sand.

bertrand challier
07-19-2010, 11:28 AM
I cannot find anywhere in these shield specifications, how small a particle they stop.
Are they HEPA filters?
Thank you.
Bert

Ryan Baker
07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
I cannot find anywhere in these shield specifications, how small a particle they stop.
Are they HEPA filters?
Thank you.
Bert

No, they are not HEPA filters and they are not NIOSH rated. I don't remember the specs off hand, but they have been posted here before. They are still enormously better than the useless dust masks.

The 3M airstream is NIOSH approved.

Neil Strong
07-19-2010, 11:14 PM

Jason

BUT, the approval stipulates clean shaven! Looking at the mug shots on the forum it's not an option for many. And, if you wear glasses they don't work well together.

How is it holding up?

Have the predecessor of the 3M (RACAL) and it's been falling apart for years. Only ever use it now when not convenient to use my tethered homemade unit (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/breathing-masks-88591/index2.html#post892220).