PDA

View Full Version : What are you protecting your cast iron surfaces With?

Kevin Blunt
04-21-2007, 9:47 PM
Hey guys, I thought it would be interesting to find out how many people are using different products for their cast iron rust protection. At this time I am using Minwax paste wax but am thinking of changing to something like Boeshield and would like to see what you guys are using . Let us know what you are using if I failed to add it in the list

mark page
04-21-2007, 9:59 PM
I use Top-Kote immediately after a thorough cleaning, simply I can spray it on faster than paste wax. Then buff and do three thin coats of Johnson's or Minwax paste. Buff to a slick shine. Add a coat of paste once a week or when it feels like your wood stock is starting to drag down, and when a thorough cleaning is warranted, start from the beginning again.

Mark

Keith Outten
04-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Paste Wax for 30 years.
Works Great.
Inexpensive.
Reduces Friction.

Steve Rowe
04-21-2007, 10:15 PM
I have used Minwax paste wax for 27 years. I tried Boeshield once and went back to the wax.
Steve

Jim Becker
04-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Minwax paste wax. Should that can run out (I don't use it for anything else), I'll replace it with SC Johnson Wax. I don't feel the need to use any kind of fancy product for this purpose since wax works...I don't get rust in my shop. I reapply about two times a year.

Jack Ferrell
04-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Was using Topcote and it did ok. Now using Butcher's bowling alley wax.

glenn bradley
04-21-2007, 10:44 PM
JPW but, I'm in SoCal where you have to be pretty casual to pick up rust on an activly used tool. Stored tools are another matter and I coat with a light oil and lay on wax paper for flat surfaces or wrap in oil cloth for odd shapes.

Clint Winterhalter
04-21-2007, 10:47 PM
I have used both.. I like slipit the best..

Dave Lehnert
04-21-2007, 11:04 PM
I use paste wax for my tops.
A new product to me is something called Fluid Film. It is very popular with the Lawn Care people. Would not work on tops since it stays wet. But wandering if anyone has first hand experience with this product in Woodworking tools etc…

www.eurekafluidfilm.com

David G Baker
04-21-2007, 11:40 PM
Minwax paste wax is what I use. I started out using WD40, it didn't work, the saw rusted real bad. The saw was covered and condensation caused the rust.
Tried axle grease when I stored the saw. It was ok but what a mess to clean up. Switched to auto wax. It stopped the rusting. I kept using it until I found out about the silicone transferring to my wood projects. I switched to Minwax paste wax and have been using it exclusively.

Bill Huber
04-21-2007, 11:52 PM
I just use good old Johnson Paste Wax and it does the job.
It is dry here and I don't have to worry to much about the rust.

Ted Miller
04-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Teflon auto wax and if there is any rust a scotch brite with brasso then wax...

Dan Forman
04-22-2007, 2:21 AM
I use paste wax for my tops.
A new product to me is something called Fluid Film. It is very popular with the Lawn Care people. Would not work on tops since it stays wet. But wandering if anyone has first hand experience with this product in Woodworking tools etc…

www.eurekafluidfilm.com

Dave---some folks over at Woodnet like Fluid Film, they spray on and wipe off, say it's good for rust prevention. If you do a search over there you will find some threads.

Dan

Vic Damone
04-22-2007, 2:21 AM
CRC Table Guard now a discontinued product.

Vic

Brent Grooms
04-22-2007, 5:00 AM
Tried Boeshield, the tops would still get rust blooms due to condensation and using a propane heater didnt help. Switched to mothers mag wheel polish and rennasance wax applied and buffed with a HF $10 buffing machine.

scott kinninger
04-22-2007, 9:53 AM
Renaissance Wax.

Dar Lounsbury
04-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I have several cast iron topped machines that had been in storage for 3 years. I had applied paste wax but did not buff out. All machines cleaned up with a hint of rust on one.

Paste wax works well.

Brian Hale
04-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Renaissance Wax.

What Scott said! ;)

Brian :)

Jerry Todd
04-22-2007, 3:45 PM
I keep my A/C on in my shop and that takes care of the rust problem. Of course I reside in Florida where the humidity is high.
Jerry

Ron Jones near Indy
04-22-2007, 8:09 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax--no problem in humid Indiana summers.

steve tompkins
04-22-2007, 8:14 PM
johnson past wax. from houston to south west florida. starting in 1978 till now