PDA

View Full Version : Japan Bound

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-21-2007, 9:39 PM
These were done for an Embassy Suites executive who needed “gifts” for real estate executives that she would be visiting in Japan and Guam. The tallest is about 6 ½”. The woods are birdseye maple and walnut and the finish is Deft spray. The technique is very easy once the “trick” is known.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Malcolm.........Your segmented work is always oustanding and these are no exception! Very, very nice!

And after the luck I've been having with green wood cracking I may order your book and take up segmented turning!:cool:

Jim Young
04-21-2007, 10:10 PM
Mezmerizing (sp?)

Tom Sherman
04-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Very busy pieces there Malcom. They should be a big hit.

Jonathon Spafford
04-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Those are some amazing pieces... the patterns look perfect (which I am told is hard to do)! Beautiful work!

Curt Fuller
04-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Those are very cool Mr Tibbetts! At least I think they are. I can't look at them for very long without my eyes going funny! I always enjoy seeing what you can do with a couple pieces of wood and a bottle of glue.

Robert McGowen
04-22-2007, 1:26 AM
Very nice. Do we get to know the "trick" or is that a "trick of the trade secret" teaser? :D

Malcolm Tibbetts
04-22-2007, 2:13 AM
Robert, it's not so much a "trick" as it's a neat technique. The layers are obviously laminated much like a cutting board. The challenge is to stack the individual layers accurately. All the layers are cut from identical laminated boards using a parting tool on the lathe. The rings are cut with the parting tool at an angle from round discs of the laminated material. By cutting them at an angle, they can be stacked into the desired shapes. Several rings can usually be cut from one disc. If the center seams are lined up perfectly, then all the seams have to be accurate. I’ve shown this technique in quite a few demos and its simplicity always surprises people. I think it’s one of the “biggest bang for the buck” techniques in segmented turning. Once the laminations are done, the ring cutting, stacking, and turning goes very quickly.

Jeff Moffett
04-22-2007, 8:24 AM
Mesmerizing is right. Those are so intriguing I can’t stop looking at them. Beautiful work as usual, Malcolm. The recipients will be thrilled.

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2007, 9:33 AM
Malcolm those are beautiful. Someday I am going to give it a try. Those should be very pleasing gifts. Nice.

Pat Salter
04-22-2007, 11:43 AM
The first question that went through my mind was........How'd he do that???
And I know the answer too: go to the AAW symposium and take your class, right??? :D