PDA

View Full Version : Hello all! I am new

Ryan Singer
12-29-2003, 11:17 PM
;) [B]I just joined the SMC forum thanx to my dad, Mark Singer who is already a member on here. I too, design things and do a little wood working.

My first experience on a job site was a loud one.. I don't think I was able to walk yet.. I have collected many memories of times my Dad and sometimes even Mom worked hard to make the beautiful homes we lived in. As I grew up, I realized the love of making things. I went to school to study Architecture and then left for NY where I worked for a large firm designing big projects that were interesting, yet very personal. A couple years ago I started on my own with one project. Since then, I have moved back to be closer to my family while I do work in the same town as my dad.

It has been lots of fun helping my father with some of the projects around his woodshop. Together we made 13 doors, some of which are 10' tall out of 8/4 rough cut Honduras Mohagany. together, my dad and I joined, planed, cut, these huge pieces of wood and had quite a tall stack that we spent a couple hours a day on. We built these doors next door at the house we used to live in; luckily our neighbors were nice enough to let us use the old shop which is about half the size.. I think we also used their driveway when we routed out a rabbit for the glass panels in the door frame. After all of our efforts in the sun, getting dust in our eyes, we had the nicest doors, with the pride that we did it! oh, by the way, mom helped to sand and finish too!

As the newest member, I look forward to your joining your discussions and reading the funny threads, and posting a few of my own on here.

Thanx,
Ryan

Bob Lasley
12-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Welcome Ryan,

Glad to have you on board.

Bob

Mark Singer
12-30-2003, 12:27 AM
Sorry guys! You have another Singer to deal with...much better with computers...a great help around the shop and has made some nice projects of his own... Also being an architect...be prepared for the double Singer wammy! We are interested in good design which should bring insight to SMC...We will try to give everyone space for posting...but Ryan is prolific and types a lot faster than me...
Welcome son!
Mark

John Miliunas
12-30-2003, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Ryan! I, for one, have enjoyed your dad's presence here and, if he's right about your prolific writing, we'll get along great, as I have a tendency to ramble myself! Just never fails to amaze me at the depth of skills and talents which congregate here at SMC. I look forward to your input and hope to learn more than I'll ever really *need*! Thanks for stopping in and come back often! :cool:

Mark Singer
12-30-2003, 12:44 AM
John,
Thanks for the welcome and Happy New Year!
Mark

Tyler Howell
12-30-2003, 7:29 AM
Welcome Ryan,
Come on! Let's see it! The shop, the cars, the workmanship. :rolleyes: I am spell bound by your dad's stuff and looking for more, Cough it up! ;)
Glad to have you onboard.

TJH

Todd Burch
12-30-2003, 7:44 AM
Welcome Ryan! I left my dad in the dust several years ago, at least in the woodworking department. He still kicks my hiney for "onsite" work though!

Todd.

Charles McKinley
12-30-2003, 11:18 AM
Welcome Ryan!

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Kent Cori
12-30-2003, 4:54 PM
Mark,

Have you told son Ryan about the initiation fee that is to be paid by all new members to their SMC sponsor? :D

John Scarpa
01-02-2004, 5:08 PM
Ryan,
Welcome aboard. It's going to be great to have you and your Dad here with your design focused backrounds and combined experience. The Creek grows stronger all of the time!
John

Ryan Singer
01-03-2004, 9:01 PM
Mark,

Have you told son Ryan about the initiation fee that is to be paid by all new members to their SMC sponsor? :D

WHAT FEE?!! :eek: He told me it was free!

Dave Avery
01-03-2004, 9:25 PM
Hi Ryan,

Welcome...... there is a fine group of people who post here. Some of them even know a little about woodworking.....

Christian Aufreiter
01-04-2004, 4:54 AM
WHAT FEE?!! :eek: He told me it was free!

I guess Ken is short of bud light :D