PDA

View Full Version : Laser Table Saw?

Steve Jensen
04-21-2007, 2:53 PM
I surprised that a Table Saw with a laser to help line up the cut hasn't been invented. Has anyone ever seen such an add-on or TS that has this?

Bruce Benjamin
04-21-2007, 3:57 PM
Yes, I saw one online that mounts to the ceiling above the saw and projects a laser line down onto the table. But I don't remember where it was or any other details so...Sorry about the semi-useless reply. At least you know one exists.

Bruce

Phil Pritchard
04-22-2007, 5:34 AM
They've been available as add-ons for industrial saws for 10 or more years. You don't see them much, though, because they need to be mounted atop the overhead crown guard on saws like sliders, a place where thet can end up getting disturbed far too easily. In any case if you have an accurate fence is there a need for a laser?

Phil

Steve Jensen
04-22-2007, 9:48 AM
Yes, you have a good point, with an accurate fence you don't need it. I guess being a computer guy I like the novelty aspect of having high tech stuff.

frank shic
04-22-2007, 9:49 AM
i would love to have a laser attachment to assist me when i'm making dust cuts in sheet goods or trimming the horns off of raised panel doors.

glenn bradley
04-22-2007, 9:54 AM
Cheap alternative? Stick a piece of tape on the table about 8" in front of the blade across the cut path. Using a piece of scrap, make a cut using your miter gauge. Without releasing your grip on the gauge and the piece, slide it back to the tape. Draw a line along the cut on the tape surface. That line now indicates exactly where your blade is going to cut. Some saws have this built in in the form of a white or yellow plastic plug built into the table top that can be marked on.