PDA

View Full Version : while your'e here... (cutting travertine)

Fred Craven
04-21-2007, 9:22 AM
All is going well on the job site, I just submitted another bid for more work, and if all goes well, I'll get to build a new mega-mantle aronud the 52" Sony LCD. The Home owner really likes our work, but he has issues with some of the other trades.

A couple of days ago I get the question, "Hey, while your'e here, can you cut a couple of holes for my new internet connection?" Well, of course I can (not only can I do that, I can also run the wiring and set up your routers, but I'm going to let you know that--but won't your network guy cut the holes?). Then he says, "And I need one in the kitchen, can put on in this tile?":confused:

Basically, he want's a new phone/internet port intalled where there is tumble travertine tiles in place. I'm trying to avoid this if at all possible, because I don't really do stone. And I don't want a crash course in finding a matching tile, and matching the existing grout, if I screw up. Nevertheless, I thought I would ask y'all how you might do it.

I suppose it's possible to use one of the very expensive "diamond" blades on my Fein multimaster, but I don't know if that would work with travertine, I don't have one of those blades yet, and I know it won't work on tile.

Joe Chritz
04-21-2007, 9:28 AM
Diamond will cut anything you touch it to. Problem is they really should be done before the tile is installed.

I assume this is a wall port and the only way I have ever done them is to install before the tile goes on and cut around the opening with a diamond wet saw and nippers.

I suppose a cut in box would work as long as the "ears" would be open far enough, but you may have a time getting the hole in the tile. If you can use a surface mount box then all you need is a drilled hole for the cable. Even that is difficult without the right bit.

Might be a good one to pass on to the tile guys.

Joe

James Stokes
04-21-2007, 9:28 AM
You can buy a diamond blade to fit a 4 inch grinde at harbor freight for about 4 dollars. that will work fine for the marble.

Greg Deakins
04-21-2007, 9:36 AM
Whether its ethernet or coaxial, you dont need to put a plate, or box or anything. I may have not heard or registered somthing in your post, but as a former broadband internet installer, I would just drill a hole with a diamond point and feed the wire without a fitting. They also have plugs that work as grommets or bushings for a wall in that case.

Jim Becker
04-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Whether its ethernet or coaxial, you dont need to put a plate, or box or anything.

True, you don't "need" a plate for Ethernet or RG6, but it's preferable for a clean disconnect, especially for Ethernet.

In this case, if the specific tile cannot be removed for "modification", then a diamond drill bit for a hole and a surface mount low-profile LV box and plate are appropriate for the application. The homeowner is going to have to deal with the fact that he/she is asking for an addition after-the-fact and that puts some limits/considerations on how the work can get done. Pulling the tile so it can be modified to accommodate the connection will always look best, but isn't always easy or practical. And, of course, feeding the cabling to that location could be "interesting", too, depending on what's in the wall. There is often extra blocking used in kitchen/bath walls.

Ryan Myers
04-22-2007, 11:12 PM
As an electrician, I often have to deal with situations like this when I get customers who want to add a receptacle in a backsplash with tile. I have found using my RotoZip with a diamond bit works pretty good for cutting the tile. Just take it slow and easy. They also make diamond hole saws that would work too.

I just recently installed Travertine tile in one of my bathrooms and it must be cut all the way through. You cannot nibble or chisel it.