PDA

View Full Version : band saw blades

Ken Werner
04-21-2007, 7:04 AM
I'm looking for suggestions for BS blades. Not the premium ones that sell for $30. I'm looking for the best value/use item. I also don't want to invest that much in a blade that can be trashed in a moment by a twisted cut.

An article in FWW some time ago recommended BCSaw.com, but I've no experience with their blades. I've had good luck with Hartville tools blades. Because I have a nice old PM 141, I need 95" blades, which some of the standard dealers don't carry.

Suggestions welcome.

Ron Blaise
04-21-2007, 7:36 AM
Suffolk Machinery (Timber Wolf) will sell you any length blade you want. Don't e-mail them cause they won't answer. Here is their toll free number
1-800-234-7297. A 1/2" x 95" inch blade sells for about 18 bucks and you can't get a much better blade for the money. And they are in your home state (Patchogue, NY). I have been using them for years and never been disappointed in their performance.

scott spencer
04-21-2007, 8:50 AM
Many suppliers will cut to customer length for a minimal charge. I bought (4) 89-1/2" Timberwolf blades from Suffolk for something like $55 shipped including NYS tax. They were offering 4 blades for the price of 3 to new customers...ask for the "443" deal. If you're not a new customer, maybe your neighbor is! :D

Jim Becker
04-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I'll also recommend Suffolk Machinery (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com) and Timberwolf.

Mike Holbrook
04-21-2007, 1:33 PM
This little hardware in Atlanta carries a blade that has won many of the tests.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1293&HS=1

Wilbur Pan
04-21-2007, 8:01 PM
Another vote for Suffolk Machinery and the Timberwolf blades here.

They have a special going on now that if you buy 5 blades, they'll send you a 3/4" resaw 2-3 variable TPI blade for free. I've been really happy with this blade for resawing.

Richard Butler
04-22-2007, 7:51 AM
I have one Timberwolf blade hanging on the wall as a reminder to never buy another. The weld is horrible. Not only is it out of square, it is not aligned.

Ken Massingale
04-22-2007, 8:28 AM
I have one Timberwolf blade hanging on the wall as a reminder to never buy another. The weld is horrible. Not only is it out of square, it is not aligned.
Unfortunately I have to agree. I stocked up TW blades early last year and they were very good, as they had been with earlier orders. I picked up 3 more about a month ago and all 3 are worse that the cheap ones at Sears. Bad welds, misaligned, etc.
I recently purchased a new bandsaw which required the 3 new blades. When I had issues with noise and oscillation of the blade I called the manuf.'s support. The first question the tech asked was if I had a TW blade on it. It's sad to see a great product go downhill.
k

glenn bradley
04-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Another vote for Timberwolf. $10 - $15 for a blade at the BORG or $18 for one of their wonderful blades? Its a no-brainer.

George Grubaugh
04-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Highland Hardware.

Wood Slicer.

I'll never buy anything else again.

I don't know how much they cost. They're worth whatever.

No affiliation. Just a happy camper.

George