PDA

View Full Version : OT-DIY fertilize yard or outsource?

Jeff Kerr
04-20-2007, 11:57 PM
So,

The yard is not looking all that well this spring. Have some weeds already and the dandelions are spreading well like dandelions:D

I have 2 acres and in the past have paid a national service to apply name brand dry fertilizer and weed control 5-7 times a season. It does help the lawn but it is almost $200 each application.

I have also tried the Scotts 4-step program myself with a tow behind on my riding mower but the problem was having to stop so often to refill the spreader and also the cost of materials. If I had to pay full price it was cheaper to pay the other guys to do it.

Tonight at Tractor Supply I saw a liquid tank sprayer that you tow behind your rider or ATV. It costs about $200. The liquids they sell seem to be about the same as Scotts dry for a 15,000 sq. ft. coverage.

1. I am not familiar with the liquid brand names. Are these chemicals as good or better?

2. Do these sprayers give as good a coverage as the broadcast dry spreaders or better/worse?

3. Can you use the sprayer for both weed and feed or are they more for one or the other?

Thanks much.

Rich Stewart
04-21-2007, 1:53 AM
Get a couple goats. You won't have to mow, weed, or fertilize ever again.

Roy McQuay
04-21-2007, 5:53 AM
Get a couple goats. You won't have to mow, weed, or fertilize ever again.And goats love trees even more than we do.

Rich Engelhardt
04-21-2007, 7:47 AM
Hello Jeff,
Do what my wife does.
Call several of the commercial outfits and get estimates.
You'd be surprised at how low they will go if you "work" them.
We had our entire yard - about 40K sqo feet - done for some insane price last year. IIRC, it was like $29.00.
No way, no how could I even begin to do it myself for that price.

She called all the big and small ones, they came out and gave us an estimate, then most of them called back and began dropping their prices trying to get our business.

The last one pretty much said they'd do it for $29.00 on a one time basis. If we were happy, we could continue, if not, no harm, no foul.

Jim Becker
04-21-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm a DIY and use corn gluten meal combined with another organic fertilizer product. The former not only "feeds", it naturally suppresses weed germination. We do not use any "chemicals" on our lawn and gardens outside of dealing with poison ivy. Our lawn is far too large to even consider a "service" and most of them use products unacceptable to us, anyway.

David G Baker
04-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I received a card in the mail the other day offering to do my lawn one time for $29.99. I am tempted but that will mean I will have to mow it more often, water it more often and probably start liking the pretty lawn. The next time they do it there will be a slight increase in charge, I don't have any idea what it will be but the $200 is probably going to be in the neighborhood. My lawn is 75% weeds and approximately 3 acres. It looks pretty good when the weeds are green.
I get these nice and pretty green spots in my lawn that are approximately 12 inches across. Took me a while to figure out what caused them. Deer droppings are fertilizing my weeds in a few areas.

Rich Stewart
04-21-2007, 7:51 PM
Just know this. When you try out the 29 dollar introductory fee you will be HOUNDED by the company by phone for a LONG time. I know because I got so many calls from chem-lawn I considered changing my phone number.

David G Baker
04-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Rich
I think Chem-Lawn was the name of the company on the card. Thanks for the heads up on the harassment. I hate phone calls from businesses so much I have one of those telephone add-ons that will not allow commercial calls through. Only a very few get through and they are local.

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-23-2007, 3:31 PM
2 acres?? That's nuthin~!! ans someone want $200 to sprey it with that nitrogen fertiklizer??

Go to an Agway. Get a couple50# bags of Urea ( It's almost pure nitrogen) Hand broad cast or use one of those little wheeled thingies. It'll make you grass ohh so green

Craig Kershaw
04-23-2007, 8:46 PM
Jim - Where do you get the corn meal gluten?

Craig

Jim Becker
04-23-2007, 8:54 PM
Craig, I buy it at Agway. It's used as a feed in addition to the purpose I source it for. What I like is that it's both a fertilizer as well as a germination suppressant. (Don't put it on newly seeded lawns for that reason... ;) )

Jeff Kerr
04-23-2007, 9:29 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the all natural option. I did some googling and found this link explaining Iowa States discovery of the benefits of corn meal gluten.

In case anyone else is interested. http://wihort.uwex.edu/turf/CornGluten.htm

Since my Dandelions are in full bloom the gluten won't stop it according to the link above. Maybe next year.

I also went to the local Landmark ag supply in my area and spoke with them today. Got some great info and they really took there time with me. Explained the coverage per acre and the costs for all the different types of granulars and liquids they have.

Cliff, you are correct the urea is a very economical way to go.

For my Dandelions etc. they also offer a liquid concentrate that I can mix in a tow behind sprayer using 64 oz per acre mixed to water. Pretty cheap. :)

After the cost of the sprayer, I will still save half on the cost of the commercial price in the first year. After that it will be very economical to DIY this. Plus I have 2 teenagers, so I have pre-paid labor:D

Joe Mioux
04-23-2007, 9:50 PM
I can't believe I am coming in late for discussion.

Milogranite is the way to go for N.

It is natural. It is made from Milwauke WI sewage.

What I like about it is that you can hardly mis-apply the stuff. It is a very slow release and gentle fertilizer. With that said, if you dump a mound on the ground, it will burn the soil.

One of my old vendors was a large Golf course supplier. His recommendation to me was apply Milorganite over Thanksgiving weekend and then throw down the Baricade (tm) in Dec. From there you are covered with a pre-emerge herbicide for the next 8 months.

Normally, I do this a bit later. Milorganite in Jan and a good commericial grade weed and feed with Baricade in lat Feb.

Check with you local greenhouse guys and ask them if they can get you some good stuff. I am suspect of anything you can buy at the big boxes.

Now, those little sprayers work extremely well, but you have to follow some strict rules. You can have great success with Post-emergent herbicides.

Spray early in the morning, and when the temp is below 80 degrees. Chemicals volatilize in high temps and you can actually kill your grass because of higher temps

Spray slowly and make sure you are using the correct sprayer nozzles for the herbicide you are planning on using.

I am drawing a blank on my favorite post emergent herbicide but will get back with you when I remember it

Joe