PDA

View Full Version : Belated Gloat

Dave Hale
04-20-2007, 11:46 PM
Like I said before, work was good to me at the end of the year, so I spent some bucks getting upgraded. Part of the reason was to help my BIL who was getting the woodworking bug from me and he got my old setup for a nice family discount. :)

First is a 5HP SawStop. Great saw. Added a WWII blade, Incra Fence and HTC base. Blade is awesome, got .002" front to back out of the box. Fence, as usual, is also rock solid, .002" front to back. Actually, there's a slight bump in the middle (back of the blade), but it goes back to zero further back. I was noticing a little 'burn' on some maple so I tweaked the back of the fence out a little and it's looking better. The HTC base I don't like so much. First, two of the casters are fixed and it's a pain to get away from the wall. Second, the extension rails are week. My floor's a little rough, so that's probably part of the problem.

Second is the WoodPeck Router Table. Put an Incra fence on it too. Half-blind joints were a piece of cake with this setup. The dust collection box is worth the price. The 'rolling' part of the base is a little weak because the 'lift' isn't enough with my uneven floor. I just lift it up and roll it. :)

Third is the Rikon 10-325 bandsaw. Plan on trying a resaw this weekend then I'll know better. Put the HTC universal base under it. Definitely not stable enough. This sucker is very top heavy.

Fourth pic is a Wood mag cutting board. Previous attempts with my old Cman saw resulted in a lot of sanding and planing. Much, much less effort with the new setup.

Jim Becker
04-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Congrats, Dave! Nice arsenal upgrades!

Don Bullock
04-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Wow!!! Now, that's a gloat!!! And, my wife thinks I've been spending too much money.:eek: Congratulations Dan. Enjoy.:D

Jim W. White
04-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Congratulations!!!

Please do report back after re-sawing with the Rikon. I am very interested in hearing some first hand reports on this unit. It's on my short list.

Thanks

Jim in Idaho

glenn bradley
04-21-2007, 10:46 AM
That is a great upgrade. Way to go!

Thomas Smith
04-21-2007, 10:49 AM
Awesome! I feel vindicated in spending so much this year! Nice upgrades!

Thane Duncan
04-21-2007, 4:21 PM
David

Search for HTC bases and sawstop and you'll see my discussion of the problems with your base.
Thread entitled Mobile base for Sawstop
TD

Bill Wyko
04-21-2007, 5:13 PM
Another Incra addict.:D Me too. I even have the rikon band saw. Which I think is the best band saw for the money IMHO.:D I just put a deposit on a powermatic table saw and I'll get that fence in a couple weeks. Nice set up you got there, that incra stuff is the best.;) HEY how come you get to show flatwork?JK:p I didn't think flat work was allowed anywhere in here.:confused: