PDA

View Full Version : Two-speed grinder

Dale Thompson
12-29-2003, 11:00 PM
Hi folks,
This is a MAJOR tool gloat. I got the variable speed Jet mini-lathe for Christmas. It compliments the PM 3520 which I have in my shop. The Jet is intended to go up to my cabin. It will be installed in my rec. room (with chip collection) along with my 20' by 8' 1:32 slot car track, a slot machine, a dart board and an air hockey game. The idea is to get the local kids and grandkids into the hobby of WW -- in particular -- turning. I don't know if it's going to work but I plan to bring my unused set of mini-chisels up (less intimidating to kids) and pick up the Harbor Freight full-sized set for my own use. Although I'm not Bill Gates, I'm looking for a top quality two-speed grinder so that I can use the low speed to sharpen the minis. The 3450 RPM seems to burn those minis before an old codger like me can react.

The track and other stuff gets me a real KID audience both summer and winter so I'm hoping that I can convince at least SOME of them to try the lathe. I'll probably give them pre-turned cylinders to start with and let them do their thing. However, what I am really looking forward to is to tell them to go home and get a piece of firewood. We can then either split it for a bowl or make a spindle, mini-bat or pen out of the retrieved piece. :)

Any suggestions??

Dale T.

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Dale, I have a Variable Speed Delta 6" Grinder for sale. Please see my post in the Woodworkers Classified forum for information. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it would be ideal for sharpening those Mini Turning Tools.............I know what you mean about them easily getting too hot when sharpening at high speed! :)