PDA

View Full Version : Mini little gloat

Al Willits
04-20-2007, 8:09 PM
Probably isn't even that small a gloat, but considering I'm a newbie, it was a big deal for me....goes to show it don't take much...:D

I'd previously posted on hand planes and asked a few questions.
Nic Obie PM'd me that he had a few planes that he wanted to sell, so we discussed it for a bit and I ordered a used 60 1/2 Stanley plane from him.

If the pictures work, this is what he sent me.
Last one is a bit blurred, but even after not finding where to plug this little guy in, it seems to make these neat swirly things when run across a piece of wood.

Have to admit I was a bit doubtful on getting a plane that not only looked very nice, but that was all set up and works very well.
This thing looks and works great.....Thanks Nic

I know planes probably don't rate a major gloat, but this is my first plane and I think I may be hooked, they sure do a lot of neat stuff....:D

btw Nic has more planes for sale, and I think another one will soon be headed my way...
Especially if I can ever figure where to plug these darn things in....:D

Al

Mark Stutz
04-20-2007, 8:29 PM
(Imagine music playing....And another one bites the dust...music continues.

That a great looking plane, but the best part is that it has been tuned. Now when you score that flea market 604 you'll know what to shoot for! It won't be long before you refer to that as you're first 60 1/2!;) :D

Mark

Brian Kent
04-20-2007, 8:31 PM
That's beautiful. Congratulations. The only thing I'll disagree on with you is that a nice plane IS a major gloat!

Jim Becker
04-20-2007, 8:39 PM
Very nice, Al!

Bruce Page
04-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Congrats Al, that little Stanley is a work horse!

jonathan snyder
04-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Watch out Al. They multiply like rabbets!!!!

Al Willits
04-21-2007, 7:54 AM
I have had just a bit to play with this little guy, and there's lots I don't know about planes, but I see me using this a lot where I used to use sandpaper or the router.
Brian, your right, it is a major gloat to me as it has opened up a whole new section of woodworking for me, thanks.

Al

Jim Becker
04-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I have had just a bit to play with this little guy, and there's lots I don't know about planes, but I see me using this a lot where I used to use sandpaper or the router.

You have the right idea...I never even thought about using a hand plane until I got my block plane. Now, there is no project that doesn't get some treatment from it.

nic obie
04-21-2007, 2:00 PM
Hi Al,

I'm really happy that you are enjoying the little plane.

I have a feeling that you might be hooked. :D :D :D

Al Willits
04-22-2007, 9:04 PM
Just have to say thanks to Nic and the rest who helped me with my questions, I can see owning more than one of these guys.
I can see the stuff to keep these things sharp is my next investment....:)

Al