PDA

View Full Version : New LV LH Edge Plane

Doug Shepard
04-20-2007, 6:09 PM
I scanned the recent posts and didnt se this mentioned but sorry in advance if this is a dup. I knew this was coming out but LV's latest flyer was in the mail today and it's out now. Nice intro price until the end of May.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=54862&cat=51&ap=1

Tim Nylander
04-20-2007, 9:40 PM
I don't know if I'm a lefty hiding inside a righty's body or something but every time I see a "left" handed plane it seems like it might be more comfortable to use in my right hand.
Anyone else have that happen?
I was having this same debate with the LN skew 140, left or right.

Either way these edge trimmers seem entirely useful, do they really live up to their promise?

Mark Stutz
04-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Tim,
The "handedness" refers to which hand you hold the plane as its pulled toward you, at least that's how I use them. They really do work, and since grain direction may change, or you may have only one flat reference face, you really can use both. I have the LN version, but I think the LV version is wider and therefore may be a bit more useful. Hope this is not as "clear as mud":D

Mark

Gary Herrmann
04-20-2007, 11:26 PM
Mine just arrived today. I haven't tuned the iron yet. Too tired to go take a pic, so you'll just have to take my word for it, pic police...

Doug Shepard
04-21-2007, 7:55 AM
... since grain direction may change, or you may have only one flat reference face, you really can use both....

Having both means you can also do 2 handed planing from both directions at the same time. And you can legally drive on the correct side of the bench whether you live in the US or in Great Britain.:D

Mine just arrived today. I haven't tuned the iron yet. Too tired to go take a pic, so you'll just have to take my word for it, pic police...

Which one did you get? I end up getting the A2 like the RH one I got, but debated for a while about maybe getting the O1 and changing a blade later if I found a distinct preference.

Roy McQuay
04-21-2007, 9:30 AM
I was under the impression that you would use both planes for grain direction. That is why they offer a set. Please tell me if my thinking is wrong. Highland Hardware is offering a LN version individually or as a set also for about $50 more each.

Gary Herrmann
04-21-2007, 10:15 AM
Which one did you get? I end up getting the A2 like the RH one I got, but debated for a while about maybe getting the O1 and changing a blade later if I found a distinct preference.

I also got A2 like my RH

Robert Trotter
04-22-2007, 4:50 AM
Hi Roy,

Yeah you are right in that you have a pair so that you can deal with the grain direction and one reference face.

If you are getting them for ply (which is one of the reasons I got mine) then it doesn't matter. And for the folks with electric planers and thicknessers then the reference face things is not as big a deal (depending on what you are making I suppose). Also if the edge you using it on will not be seen be seen and you don't stuff up the corners then it may not be a big problem to go against the grain using a fine setting and getting a little tear out.
But a set is the best thing if you are going to be using them and not just a plane. Anyway that is what I am telling myself as I build up to making my pitch to you know who.:) That goes for getting the other half of the 140 twins.:D

Robert

As to the differnce in price to the LN...the LN is bronze and that is what you are paying for. The LV bronze is expensive as well. The iron LV is a different set up to the two bronze ones as well. It has an adjuster wheel (knob) which makes it easy to use. (compared with mucking around with my LN 140 - very nice plane) The blade is straight also. I am not sure about the LV and LN bronze ones, but they may have angled blades.?? Anyone?

Jim Belair
04-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Can some one convince me of the value of these edge planes? I like the idea of a new toy at a great price but am unsure of the "need".

If squaring an edge for jointing, these are too short. If one uses a combination of power and had tools, stock would normally be milled square by power. Machine marks removed by a very light pass or two with a hand plane, which is unlikely to throw the edge out of square. A wedge can be attached to the fence for mitres, but unless this is done frequently, wouldn't a wedge fence clamped to a wider bench plane do the trick?

I'm not questioning the wisdom of those who have them, just trying to understand the use.

Also, regarding use, can they be effectively used by pushing as well as pulling?

Thanks in advance for the education
Jim

Mike K Wenzloff
04-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi Jim,

For me the greater "value" or usefulness of these planes was in taking a single light swipe and removing the marks from a powered jointer--the slight scalloping--as well as correcting very slight squareness variations from hand jointing, also with a very light cut.

I also used them for creating a very slight sprung joint on longer boards that were part of a glued up panel for both the ability to use less clamps and any benefit of a sprung joint would gain me.

So for me, they were beneficial for those tasks.

Take care, Mike

Robert Trotter
04-25-2007, 2:55 AM
it a one or two swipe thing. I don't have machinery so I work by hand and I got mine to just correct little variation as Mike said. Also I cut my sheet good by hand and plane the edges. I got mine mainly for these sheet goods. Squaring things up after hand cutting and hand planing the edges. But I think it will come in handy with the smaller (thinner) stuff I often do as well. A final swipe just to make sure.

Neccessity? I suppose not but it has com in handy so far.

Robert

David Marcus Brown
04-30-2007, 12:08 PM
It's not a feature that mentioned very often but the edge trimmers make nice side rabbet planes too (I got my LV pair a few weeks ago).

This weekend I was building some bookcases and needed to widen the dadoes a bit. Having the left and right pair of edge trimmers made it very easy to switch planes and planing direction to avoid breaking out the ends of a dado.

David Marcus Brown
04-30-2007, 12:12 PM
I agree with Mike too, they are very useful little planes. Also, their short length doesn't affect a long edge as much as you might imagine. I have the right handed LN bronze and a matched pair of the LV cast iron edge trimmers. The cast iron LVs get used a lot more than the LN -- even though that bronze somehow always feels wonderful in the hand.