PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Up And Running (AGAIN) *Link*

Steve King
12-29-2003, 9:21 PM
Well I thought I had finished building Bill Pentz Cyclone Dust Collector, but I was wrong. I ran a static pressure test on the cyclone and found that it was not as good as the Jet 1200 DC I was using. I was kind of upset with all the work that I put into the project and it would not perform as good as what I had. I emailed Bill, showed the pictures of the cyclone, comes to find out that I made the blower housing a mirror image of what it should be. So; back to work, rebuilt the blower housing and it works GREAT!
Again I would like to thank, Bill Pentz, Terry Hatfield and Scott Coffelt for all their help and input to make this great upgrade work.
Steve King

P.S. I also have added my web site (still under construction) it views well with Netscape but not so good in Explorer, I’m working on that.
Cyclone Project (http://sekingusa.home.comcast.net/cyclone.htm)

Bob Johnson
12-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Steve,

I'm just getting started on building one of Bill Pentz's cyclones, having ordered the 2hp Delta motor and the Sheldon impeller. Which way does your motor rotate? I'd rather not rebuild something if I can avoid it. I was going to build the blower like your first one, but now that seems wrong.

Bob Johnson

Scott Coffelt
12-29-2003, 10:55 PM
cause one that doesn't ain't worth didly. Glad you got it all figured out. It took me some eye balling to get it built right the first time. I about built the housing backwards myself.

Terry Hatfield
12-29-2003, 11:45 PM
Steve,

Great job on the cyclone and the site. Pictures look great. You certainly out did yourself on the cyclone construction and the install. I especially like the part where you say the metal shop guy's still don't know what you are trying to make. :D I got the same reaction here. :D

Terry

Steve King
12-30-2003, 8:30 AM
Bob,
The HF motor is CCW rotation along with the Jet 14" impeller. This system works too good. I was sweeping into the floor sweep and moved one of my golf shoes out of the way, sucked it right into the floor sweep. :D
Steve

Greg Daves
12-30-2003, 2:03 PM
Steve,

I too am a Plano-ite, and would be very interested in seeing your new cyclone. I have traded an email or two with both Terry and Bill inquiring about the building. I currently have a Delta 850 1 1/2 HP, and it does a sufficient job, but would like to run ducting and not have to drag the hose all over the two car garage.

Any thoughts, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
GD

Mike Mastin
12-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Steve,

Looks great! What did you do to prepare the cyclone to paint? I have an Onieda cyclone that I would like to paint. Just curious.

Jim Becker
12-30-2003, 10:06 PM
What did you do to prepare the cyclone to paint? I have an Onieda cyclone that I would like to paint. Just curious.

The most important thing is to completely clean the metal to remove any oils or other contaminents that may remain on it from the raw materials, manufacturing process or your own handling. Then, prime with an appropriate primer designed for use on metal and top coat from there. If you don't do the cleaning part well...the paint will come off all by itself anywhere it couldn't stick!

Steve King
12-30-2003, 10:33 PM
Thanks Mike,
I started by roughing up the surface with scotch bright pads, wiped down with lacquer thinner and primed with a gray automotive type primer. I sprayed it with latex paint.
I still need to get up to your new store and load up on wood. I installed a lumber rack and a mobile sheet good rack that need some of that curly wood of yours :D
Steve

Jay Albrandt
12-30-2003, 11:18 PM
Great job Steve!

I recently finished the Pentz / Echols cyclone. I haven't had the time to test it but I can't wait.

Where did you get your blast gates? And, do they seal well when closed?

Happy WW'ing

Jay

Steve King
12-31-2003, 8:45 AM
Jay,
I got the gates from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005A1I2/qid%3D1072877959/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-5132687-7115158) along with their 5" and 6" clear hose and wire clamps. They seal up good and tight.
Steve

Jay Albrandt
12-31-2003, 7:11 PM
Steve,

Thanks for your quick response. A few more questions if I may. Does the slide come all the way out so you can clear chips from the guides? And if not, could the gates be modified to do so without affecting the seal?

Thanks,

Jay

Bob Johnson
01-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Steve,

How did you mount your cyclone to the wall/ceiling? From your pictures it kind of looks like you suspended it with chain. Also, any idea what the complete unit weighs?

Bob

Steve King
01-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Bob,
I used turnbuckles and eye bolts to support the cyclone. I mounted 2/4 to the ceiling, screwed the eye bolts into the 2/4. I think the total weight of the cyclone and motor was 75 pounds.
Steve

Bob Johnson
01-04-2004, 4:41 PM
Steve,

On your website one of the comments is "On the right is a baffle that I added to the inlet. This insure that will not be a gap between the inlet and the outlet tube."

Could you explain a bit more what that means? I don't get it. Did you make a 4x10 inlet so you could use a standare HVAC 4x10 to 6" round adapter?

Thanks,
Bob

Steve King
01-04-2004, 6:23 PM
Bob,
The baffle that I added was to the inlet. I found that there was a gap between the inlet and outlet pipe when I assembled the outlet into the cyclone housing. Reading how important separation makes in the cyclone operation, why take a chance. The baffle is 28 gauge, so it will conform to the outlet.
Steve

P.S.
Bill has updated the blower housing, I don't know if you have seen the Budget Blower #9 (http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/construction/budblower.gif)