PDA

View Full Version : thinning

Austin Dienner
04-20-2007, 4:00 PM
ok...now i have my new spray gun and cant figure out how to thin deft. Anybody with any tips please let me know.
what do i use to thin?
how do i thin it?
how much thinner do i add?
Again, i am trying to spray deft.
Thanks in advance
austin

Jim Becker
04-20-2007, 5:05 PM
"Deft" is a brand name, but most likely refers to lacquer. If it says lacquer on the can, you use lacquer thinner to, umm...well, you know... ;) While you can spray Deft brushing lacquer, it's not necessarily the best product for that form of application. Consider using other lacquers that are made for spray application. And you absolutely MUST have a proper environment to spray lacquer safely including both the space and the personal protection. It's not something you want to do in your home. (Ok, I see from your other thread that you may have a spray booth)

Austin Dienner
04-20-2007, 5:11 PM
jim,
i have the deft brushing lacquer, if i get the waterborne finish can i spray that easily?

mark page
04-20-2007, 8:10 PM
Austin,

see my post under your other thread.

Mark

Jim Becker
04-20-2007, 8:48 PM
Austin, I personally prefer water borne products for spraying...safer all around, easy clean-up and many of the current products are really nice finishes. I'm about to try a new one from Target that is effectively an alkyd varnish hybrid and according to Jeff Weiss is very well suited to cherry, which I largely work in. The samples he showed me were outstanding.