PDA

View Full Version : Coping sled question

Mike Watts
04-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I need to build some cabinet doors and just got the email from Infinity on their new coping sled sale. I was leaning towards the Eagle America sleds but this looks interesting. Anyone have any advice or experience they would like to share on this?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Mike Henderson
04-20-2007, 11:30 AM
I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences with coping sleds, also. Right now, I use a piece of MDF behind the piece being coped to support it. The MDF is big enough to slide along the fence and provide support (the MDF is sacrificial). But I hold the piece being coped with my hand and take small cuts.

Are the sleds a lot safer?

Mike

glenn bradley
04-20-2007, 11:33 AM
I made this one pretty easily. For store bought the criteria I'd use would be:
- Replaceable backer block that is not part of the structure, that is it should just be a piece of scrap that I can replace without tools.

- Base needs to be substantial enough to not flex, don't scrimp here, you'll only be sorry

- Miter bar or against the fence for the guide doesn't really matter to me.

I love this little thing and you'll probably love your's too.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=40640

Joe Chritz
04-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I have always used sleds for coping cuts.

Always made them with two DeStaco clamps and a piece of Baltic Birch. A replaceable sacrificial block would be nice but I generally remove the clamps and make a new one when the block needs replaced.

Bigger question is to have one that rides in the miter slot or against the fence? I have used both and have no real preference either way.

Not sure how much safer it really is but I feel better with the sled and clamps so that has to be worth something.

Joe

Tim Malyszko
04-20-2007, 12:00 PM
I use Rockler's coping sled that I picked up for $40 on sale. It's served me well over the last 2 months and to be honest, I don't think I could have built one of this quality for much cheaper. Here's the link.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16416&filter=coping%20sled

It holds the piece well and the backer board is easy to replace if you are cutting different profiles. The sled rides along the fence.

I really like it.

Alex Berkovsky
04-20-2007, 12:21 PM
I need to build some cabinet doors and just got the email from Infinity on their new coping sled sale. I was leaning towards the Eagle America sleds but this looks interesting. Anyone have any advice or experience they would like to share on this?
Thanks in advance,
MikeMike,
Is this the coping sled (http://www.infinitytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=COP%2D100) in question? $100? :eek: I think it's an overkill.

Mike Watts
04-20-2007, 12:44 PM
It is rather expensive. That is why I wanted peoples opinion on if it was worth it. The Eagle America ones range from $50 t0 $109 so it is in the top range of that. I did not think about the Rockler sled until someone mentioned that on this thread. The main difference I see in them (besides the heft) is that Eagle and Rockler ride along the fence on the bottom and the Infinity rides on the top. Seems like the top would work better since you would not accidentally (or for me probably for sure) cut into the base itself with the bit. Still undecided but gaining a lot of knowledge with these posts.

Hal Flynt
04-20-2007, 2:03 PM
Mike,

I just built my first coping sled based on the Rockler, MLCS etc. design with a De-Sta-Co Clamp that rides against the fence. (I prefer the fence). I haven't put a handle on it yet, but that will be tomorrow. I used 1/4" Tempered Hardboard for the base and a piece of Multi-ply for the fence. I plan on making an adjustable outer fence to trap the stock when cutting, just haven't done it.

Up to now, I have used square cornered (the real key to good copes is squareness to the fence, and it's pretty easy to square up a corner on a piece of MDF or Ply on the tablesaw) MDF scrap with one of those rubber bottomed plastic handled push blocks screwed onto the MDF at a comfortable angle that encourages pressure against the fence as I guide the cut. I have used with and without additional scrap backer boards. One advantage is that I don't lose any height of cut with the base material. A disadvantage is that you can't use any toggle clamps.

Tim Malyszko
04-20-2007, 2:22 PM
It is rather expensive. That is why I wanted peoples opinion on if it was worth it. The Eagle America ones range from $50 t0 $109 so it is in the top range of that. I did not think about the Rockler sled until someone mentioned that on this thread. The main difference I see in them (besides the heft) is that Eagle and Rockler ride along the fence on the bottom and the Infinity rides on the top. Seems like the top would work better since you would not accidentally (or for me probably for sure) cut into the base itself with the bit. Still undecided but gaining a lot of knowledge with these posts.

You will cut into the base with the Rockler sled, but according to Rockler, it is perfectly normal and does not affect the sled's performance. I can back up that statement as I did cut into the sled's base and have had no performance issues with it.

Ken Garlock
04-20-2007, 2:37 PM
Just take your miter gauge and attach a piece of poplar as a sacrificial fence. 10 minutes time and $50 saved.

You can prep the fence by running it through the bit once to cut the profile into the fence.

As for me, I have a 90 deg. fence that slides along the Incra router fence.