PDA

View Full Version : Pot anyone? Turned, that is....

Wolf Kiessling
12-29-2003, 8:06 PM
Here is a set of matched pots I just finished. On the sales tag I call them Potpourri Pots. I try to keep two sets of these on hand at all times, one in the gallery where I sell my turnings and a set at home where I sometimes sell stuff or to take to a show we might attend. This means, of course, every time I sell a set I've got to make a new one.

I always try to keep them about 4"x4", this specific set is 3.75" high by 4" wide and is turned from elm. These things were sanded with 100 grit, some Quick Dry Velvit Oil stain was applied, sanded with 100 grit again, followed by 150 and 220 grit and finished off with another application of Quick Dry Velvit. This method really speeds up the process and helps keep the price down. Whenever I turn these pot sets, I always use wood from the same log/branch and cut the blanks to the same size. Then, when I turn them, each pot is given a different shape. Any checks, cracks, voids, or other faults are usually filled with an epoxy/inlace mix, turquoise colored in this case. This worked out well since there was no spalting on this wood and people seem to prefer them with the inlace rather than without. Sometimes, if there is no spalting and no faults, I will put some in deliberately.

Wolf

Steve King
12-29-2003, 9:48 PM
Wolf,
Had me going on the subject line!!!
Nice work.
Steve

Julie Wright
12-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Wolf,
neat looking little pots.. What kind of wood did you use? Kinda looks like a pot I turned today. thanks for sharing.

Wolf Kiessling
12-30-2003, 1:38 PM
Wolf,
neat looking little pots.. What kind of wood did you use? Kinda looks like a pot I turned today. thanks for sharing.

That's elm, Julie....