PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Help

Rich Torino
04-20-2007, 10:15 AM
I could use some help.....
I've had a 2HP, 220V Shop Fox DC for a few years now and it does the job ok... I just started to notice (past week or two) that when I switch it on the motor seems to start much slower that usual..It gets up to speed just fine and the motor doesn't seem to be running hot. It hasn't tripped the breaker or anything but it sure sounds like it about to.
I did check the wiring for loose or damaged connections but everything seems to be ok... Any ideas??? or am I on the verge of buying a new motor??

glenn bradley
04-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Has something changed? I would confirm all devices that are on the circuit are powered off and then re-test the DC only. This will isolate the behavior to the DC and you can go from there. Hopefully the yard lights were added to your cirsuit leg by mistake or some-such.

Rich Torino
04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Glen,
my shop is on a 100amp sub panel and the DC is on it's own 220 breaker. Nothing has changed in the shop. I've tried shutting all the other breakers off with no affect. This might be my excuse to get a clip on amp probe and check the startup current. I should be able to find a spec for startup vs. running...

Rod Sheridan
04-20-2007, 1:05 PM
Hi, please check motor rotation by hand, with the DC unplugged. If the impeller won't rotate freely by rotating it with one finger, something is binding.

The other cause of poor starting on single phase motors can be a failing starting capacitor (if fitted), starting winding or centrifugal switch.

regards, Rod.

Rich Torino
04-20-2007, 1:38 PM
Rod,
I can check the rotation this weekend... Also I assume the capacitor is the cylinder that sits on top of the motor.... Is ther a way to check these or if everything else seems ok do you just replace???

Al Killian
04-20-2007, 2:10 PM
Either replace the cap or take it to a motor house and let them check it. Most of them are only around $10-$20 bucks. Most of the time if they are bad, the will have a buldge on the top or bottom. Sometime when they start to go the will start leaking a goo.

Brian Dormer
04-20-2007, 5:10 PM
Sounds like the starter cap is going bad. Eventually, you will pop the breaker and the motor won't start. If you can find the cap - order a new one and replace it. Otherwise you will need to find a local shop to do the work.