PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Question

Keel McDonald
04-20-2007, 9:10 AM
I'm pretty savvy when it comes to computers, but there is something that just frustrates me to no end. Does anyone know how to set the settings (on a pc) so that when I click on a link (or open up a 2nd page), I get a FULL page instead of a pop-up window about a quarter the size of the monitor?

Chuck Wintle
04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm pretty savvy when it comes to computers, but there is something that just frustrates me to no end. Does anyone know how to set the settings (on a pc) so that when I click on a link (or open up a 2nd page), I get a FULL page instead of a pop-up window about a quarter the size of the monitor?
I had the same problem with IE. I tried to resize the window to full size, close it, then reopen it. The results were inconsistent as it would work only sometimes. I basically solved the problem by switching to Firefox which is, in my opinion, superior to IE. :D

Keel McDonald
04-20-2007, 10:43 AM
I had the same problem with IE. I tried to resize the window to full size, close it, then reopen it. The results were inconsistent as it would work only sometimes. I basically solved the problem by switching to Firefox which is, in my opinion, superior to IE. :D

I do have that option, but I'm used to IE. I've tried to use Firefox, and didn't care for the layout. Thanks, and I may have to resort to that, but I'd really like to keep using IE.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Keel.........what I did.....Open a page.....grab the corner of that thumbnail sized page and drag until it fills the page.........Once I did that, when I closed and reopened IE....the smaller size retained the bigger size I dragged into .....

Nancy Laird
04-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Just click on the button next to the X at the right top corner of the screen--that will make it full-screen size. Then you can either reduce the size by clicking on the same button, or minimize or close. Takes about 1/100 of a second to click the button.

Nancy

Aaron Koehl
04-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Switch to IE7 and use the default tabbed browsing

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Use Firefox or Oprah instead and all will be better.
IE is IMNSHO a greater danger to the PC than even Outlook.

Grant Wilkinson
04-20-2007, 6:38 PM
Keel

The first time you open the app that you are interested in, expand it to full size using the sizing point in the lower right corner. Don't use the full screen button next to the close button.
Then go to file and exit. Do not use the X button to exit.
The next time you open, it will be full screen.

Craig D Peltier
04-20-2007, 7:55 PM
I second IE7 works fine.

Ken Milhinch
04-20-2007, 8:20 PM
Keel,

I had the same problem, and tried the "resize & save" method, which only works sometimes. I hate IE7, so I went in search of another solution. Suggest you do a Google search for "IE MAXIMIZER". It's free software, which runs in the background whenever your browser is open and it works beautifully - no more small windows.

Lee DeRaud
04-20-2007, 8:30 PM
Switch to IE7 and use the default tabbed browsingOk, that raises a similar question: almost all links here (probably due to some obscure vB setting) open in a new window, even under IE7. Is there a way to set IE7 (or SMC) so clicking on links here open in a new tab by default?

(And yes, I know the right-click, open-in-new-tab trick: I want to change the default behavior.)

(Edit: Oops, found it...it's under Tools|Internet Options|General|Tab|Settings.)

Jim Becker
04-20-2007, 8:54 PM
Use Firefox or Oprah instead

Um...Cliff. That's "Opera". As far as I know, Oprah doesn't have her own browser...yet...:p

Mitchell Andrus
04-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Do a google search for:

IE window maximizer

I loaded one of these free add-ons years ago, there are a few more out there now. Works in the background and maximizes any new window.