PDA

View Full Version : Spring time Lovers

Tim Wagner
04-20-2007, 12:53 AM
Some pictures

Jonathon Spafford
04-20-2007, 4:19 AM
Is this your property?? Those are really beautiful pictures... thanks for sharing!!!!

Tim Wagner
04-20-2007, 9:04 AM
Thanks, Actually this was shot down at the park. Cleveland metro parks Rocky river Reservation. They were very calm with me and I even Got within just a few feet.

Dick Durbin
04-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Canada geese have become something of a problem in the office park where I work. I have never seen a critter that could poop as much as a goose and choose to do it right at the front door of our building.

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Canada geese have become something of a problem in the office park where I work. I have never seen a critter that could poop as much as a goose and choose to do it right at the front door of our building.
I didn't know they went that far south. Here they are considered a major problem, as they stay all year, and "mess up" the grass on the parks. You should see some of the kids' soccer fields, they get a low spot in front of the goals, and the geese play in the accumulated water. Then the goalie makes a dive for the ball and yuck!:eek:

Al Willits
04-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Local golf courses get so bad at times with them and they're leavings, that ya can't hardly walk on them, much less play golf...
Nice pictures though.

Al

Jim Becker
04-23-2007, 12:18 PM
The Canada goose has become increasingly problematic in many areas because a large percentage of the population is no longer migratory. Our societal penchant for pristine grass and large open spaces with water features created by development has created an environment that effectively sustains large flocks of non-migratory geese even during cold winter months in many areas, especially as there is less and less snow fall. They don't have a whole lot of predators--outside of speeding cars and trucks--and "extermination" raises a whole host of issues in most places. Dogs and swans are sometimes used to varying degrees to discourage them from hanging around a specific property, but there are so many places they can live, that it has virtually no effect on the overall population.

That said, they also can be quite sociable and cute. Just watch where you step!

Joe Pelonio
04-23-2007, 12:50 PM
They don't have a whole lot of predators--outside of speeding cars and trucks--and "extermination" raises a whole host of issues in most places. Dogs and swans are sometimes used to varying degrees to discourage them from hanging around a specific property, but there are so many places they can live, that it has virtually no effect on the overall population.

That said, they also can be quite sociable and cute. Just watch where you step!
The babies are cute too, and theose do get eaten. I used to have the shop near a small lake, and watched every morning as 2-3 moms would walk around with a parade of goslings that got smaller each day. One year there must have been 20 and last time I saw them there were 3. It seems that there were feral cats living in the area that fesated on them. No predators in the city parks though, and that's where most of them hang out now.

Jim Becker
04-23-2007, 2:53 PM
Yes, feral or otherwise "outside" cats love to go after birds and a baby goose is a fine meal, indeed. But even then, it's not really a large "natural predator" situation. I am wondering, however, if this may be something that is "helping" other wild animals migrate into urban and suburban areas, such as that coyote that was hanging out in a Chicago deli case not long ago... :eek: