PDA

View Full Version : Spindle sander problem

Mike Zattau
04-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Can anyone tell me how to install a 3" dia cylinder of sandpaper over the rubber that comes supplied with the spindle sander. I had to cut off the old sandpaper because it was so tight. I thought maybe if I put the rubber in the freezer it may just shrunk-up. I'm a virgin spindle sander paper changer so be gentle with your suggestions for insertion.

Joe Chritz
04-20-2007, 1:49 AM
The only spindle I have used had a nut on top that expanded the cylinder. Any chance it has something like that?

Otherwise you just need to wack it a bit harder. :D

Joe

glenn bradley
04-20-2007, 4:23 AM
What make / model are you talking about? The cyliders I have also use a compression nut to 'swell' the cylinder for a tight fit.

Ken Milhinch
04-20-2007, 6:00 AM
Mike, I recently bought the Jet sander, and when I fitted a couple of the sleeves, I wondered to myself how the hell I would ever remove them in the future. Sorry, not an answer to your question, but rather another question like yours. I look forward to somebody having the answer.:confused:

Thomas Prondzinski
04-20-2007, 8:21 AM
Mike
I have a craftsman,when I put on the 3/4" sleeve I use baby powder. Maybe this will work on the rubber too.

Tom

Steve Campbell
04-20-2007, 8:44 AM
Mike I have the same trouble from time to time. Believe it or not the freezer thing has worked for me several times. I just put them in at night and pull them out in the morning, and they usually come right apart. Also Tom's tip about the baby powder seems to work for the future.

Steve

Al Killian
04-20-2007, 4:43 PM
Some brands of sanders are not true sizes and make it difficult to get the sandpaper to slide on. I cant remember which brand that had the odd sized drum, but I think it was Jet. You might want to check and see if they are the same size.

Earl Reid
04-20-2007, 5:52 PM
When the sleeves stick, I use a mallet and hit the sides a few licks and they will slide off. (lay it on the bench first)
Earl

Ted Calver
04-20-2007, 8:57 PM
This drove me nuts! I experimented and found that a sprinkle of talcum powder on the drum and the inside of the sleeve made it a whole lot easier to put on and remove.

Roy McQuay
04-21-2007, 8:23 AM
I have the Delta Boss benchtop and my problem is the sleeves slide up during use. Is there one without problems ?