PDA

View Full Version : My last project

James Carpenter
12-29-2003, 4:35 PM
I made this for my wife and my daughter. Since my daughter is only three i used mirrored plexi instead of normal mirror. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Dick Parr
12-29-2003, 4:47 PM
Those are beautiful James. I’m sure they love them.

Jim Becker
12-29-2003, 5:00 PM
James, that inlay looks super in those mirrors! That's a great idea and a gift that will last for years and years. You can change the mirror in your daughters someday when she's older and able to handle glass, too.

Todd Burch
12-29-2003, 5:16 PM
"Looks" great James!

Carl Eyman
12-29-2003, 6:17 PM
Beautiful Work but change your title. Not your LAST project - your most recent.

John Miliunas
12-30-2003, 12:12 AM
Those are gorgeous, James! I just gots to learn me how to do that inlay stuff! Beautiful work! :cool:

Ryan Singer
12-30-2003, 2:08 AM
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

I am not sure if it's your photo, or is there alot of varnish on there....

if it's the varnish, you should go lighter or try something natural like linseed polymer...

good inlaying!!!

Terry Quiram
12-30-2003, 7:46 AM
James

Those are very nice. Did you make the roses yourself?

Terry

Charles McKinley
12-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Very nice James!

Doug Littlejohn
12-30-2003, 7:17 PM
Very nice work James. BTW, is that the mirror from a Wood issue a couple of years ago?

Nice figure in the maple too.

Sherwood

James Carpenter
12-30-2003, 7:52 PM
Yes it was in Wood a couple years ago. I had never scrolled at that point when i saw it but thought it was something i would like to do. I have since knocked out a few scrollsaw projects but hadn't touched inlay/marquatry. Bob King was the actual guy that did the project and his method for this inlay made it a joy to do. I was suprised at the simplicity, and each piece fit like a glove. I look forward to other projects like this. My biggest complaint about the project was he used a oval mirror with a bevel, when i checked on getting this particular mirror i was informed it would cost about 100 - 120 dollars. That was more than i was prepared to pay, just for the mirror. I would definetly recommend this project to any one wanting to experiment with inlay/marquatry. Thanks for your comments

Jason Roehl
12-30-2003, 9:52 PM
Those look mighty fine, James. Your wife and daughter should be very grateful to receive those. I see some future heirlooms there.

Tom Sweeney
12-30-2003, 10:10 PM
Very nice work James,
the rose looks like it's actually growing out of the mirror - almost 3d with the shading effect.
Figured maple & contrasting wood is my personal favorite look & the finish really pops the figure of the maple.

I'm sure the ladies of your life are thrilled with the presents - keep up the good work & keep sharing pics of your projects.

Ace Karner
12-30-2003, 10:16 PM
Man, those almost look like dried flowers they look so real, some kind of inlay work I'd say.

Think how proud your daughter will be some day when she tells her kids about that mirror her dad made for her when she was a little girl. What an heirloom

David Klug
12-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Ace, I've just got to learn how to do inlays. Thats beautiful.

Dave