PDA

View Full Version : Cedar lighthouse box

Rick Smith
04-19-2007, 9:34 PM
A rather plain lighthouse for the FIL, who spent a lot of time looking at them from the sea-side while in the Merchant Marines. He's 74, now...
3 1/2" at the base x 11". Sanded to 220 and friction polish. BAD CRACKING, even after 72 hrs in DNA and 10 rounds of MW "Defrost". Got MOST of them out, though...

Keith Burns
04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
You may call it plain, I call it really nice. Just the right amount of detail. A wonderful piece that he is sure to enjoy !!

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Rick I am not sure I would call it plain. Unless you mean just plain beautiful. I really like the detail. He is really going to like it. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
04-20-2007, 4:04 AM
Great piece... beautiful wood and great work! Your father-in-law's gonna love it!

Glenn Hodges
04-20-2007, 8:59 AM
This is an inovative and creative piece, Rick. Don't worry about cedar cracking, it just cracks. I have had it crack while I held it in my hand. It is worth putting up with the hairline cracks because one gets beauty like this.

Mark Cothren
04-20-2007, 12:28 PM
That is really a neat turning, Rick. There is a church around here named "Gospel Light" that has a lighthouse on their sign. I'd bet they'd love one of these...

Jim Ketron
04-20-2007, 6:36 PM
Nice looking piece Rick!
My MIL would love to have one of those!
The thing with Cedar it can be tough to get a finished piece done without cracks. Even after it is dry if you create too much heat sanding it will crack. You win some ya loose some working with it.

Brodie Brickey
04-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Rick,

A beautiful piece. When I first saw it, I thought you'd turned a pepper mill lighthouse. Very nice detail on the brick work.

Brodie