PDA

View Full Version : Rocking horse pics

Brad Hammond
12-29-2003, 3:50 PM
one of the nurses in our er is preggers and i'm going to build her a rocking horse..........
i'd love to see some of ya'lls work, if i may, to get ideas and build one that has the best from the plans and pics i've seen so far.

if anyone has a place for some premo plans i'd love the link.........i've searched most of the web, but i've yet to find anything that i'm completely happy with.
thanx
brad

Dick Parr
12-29-2003, 4:44 PM
Brad,

Here is a picture of one of the rocking horse's I have built. I will keep looking for the other picture. This one I think I got the plan out of a Popular Woodworking Magazine. If you like this one, I will try to find the issue # and date. I'm thinking it was from an issue back in 1993. I built a couple of bigger rocking horses for my grand daughters a year later. I will try to find the picture and post it for you. It won't be until tomorrow because I have to get ready to go into the hospital as an out patient for a sleep study test. I will look when I get back home.

Brad Hammond
12-29-2003, 4:58 PM
oh yeah..........i like it.....
thanx dick

Dick Parr
12-29-2003, 5:22 PM
Brad,

I found the issue. It was in issue #75, November 1998, Popular Woodworking. It is listed as the Heirloom Rocking Horse. When I get back in the morning, I will try to find the other one.

Keith Outten
12-29-2003, 7:04 PM
Brad,

I've built several horses, burros, a goat, a bull and a haywagon. All of the plans I purchased from Wooden Memories. Ken Williams designs some of the very best rocking projects I have ever seen.

http://www.woodenmemories.com

Here is a picture of Pepe, my fifth buro and Clyde who is under construction. I have lots of pictures of other animals if you are interested but a visit to Ken's web site will probably be more rewarding. Note that Pepe doesn't have a rocker, it was removed so that I could use him to take photographs of children at a local event.

Brad Hammond
12-29-2003, 7:17 PM
Very Cool!!!!!!!

Carl Eyman
12-29-2003, 8:16 PM
Check out Norm Abrams. He did one in NYW about ten years ago.

Chad Pater
12-29-2003, 9:03 PM
Check out Norm Abrams. He did one in NYW about ten years ago.

Here's a link

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?201

There are about 15 Links on this page to people who have made one of Norm's. Interest to look at if you would like ideas.

Dick Parr
12-30-2003, 8:36 AM
Brad,

I found the picture of the other rocking horse. The wife thinks she saw a picture of it and I just made my own plan from it. So I don’t have a magazine/plan to refer you to. Have fun with what ever you decide.

Dan Smith
12-30-2003, 7:09 PM
These are the horses I do for friends that are having babies...

http://wreck-finder.com/rockinghorse1.JPG

I got the plans free with my table saw from Grizzly, but they are
similar to old plans from Wood.

Chris Padilla
12-30-2003, 7:23 PM
All those posted are quite nice and I like the variety.

One thing to keep in mind is how "rocky" you want the rocking horse. My father made one for my daughter (sorry, no pic handy) but made the rockers removable because he left them a bit flat on the ends so the rocking was limited.

Now that my daughter is older, I can remove the rockers and take off the flat spots so she can "get going" if she wants to. While she was younger, he felt this would be a safer route to go.

Chris

Brad Hammond
12-31-2003, 12:20 PM
great ideas great info and great people!!!!!

thanx so much for the pics.......i've really got an idea of what i want and i have ya'll to thank!

brad

Dave Brandt
01-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Here's one I made a couple years ago for my nephew. It's from Woodsmith.

Brad Hammond
01-02-2004, 1:15 PM
Here's one I made a couple years ago for my nephew. It's from Woodsmith.

one word............... OOOH!!!

dang that's nice!

Ed Gray
01-02-2004, 1:49 PM
Brad
Here's one of my favorites. It is from Home Woodworker a couple years back. Supposed to be made of contrasting woods, but I used all oak instead. Sorry bout the bad pic, but at least you can see the design.

Ed

Marcia Szarek
05-07-2019, 9:42 PM
Just got plans for the clyde n dale rocker, what size of 2x are you using to make the body panels? Thanks

Rick Potter
05-08-2019, 2:45 PM
Marcia,

Welcome to the Creek. You might have better luck starting a thread on this, since you just resurrected a 15 year old thread.

I am sure there are many rocking horses out there.

Keith Outten
05-09-2019, 12:01 PM
Marcia,

My Clydesdale is made from both 2" and 3/4" thick basswood. The main body is all 2" panels and I used the 3/4" lumber for accent pieces.
I selected basswood because I wanted to use wood that is a very light color, knowing that I wanted to use stain to get just the right color to match the Budweiser Clydesdale's and wood grain would be distracting. There is a lot of wood shaping for the Clydesdale so basswood makes it easier to get the proper look such the the nostrils and the legs.

Most of the rocking animals I have made I used 2 by 6"s, 2 by 10's and 2 by 12's to make the panels depending on the plan.

I purchased the Old Gray Mare, the pig, the burro, the giraffe, the Clydesdale, the oxen and Conestoga wagon, the hay wagon, the goat, the bull, and probably a couple others that I can't remember. Some of the plans have been converted to digital files because I now own a CNC Router and when I get the time to make more animals I will cut out all the parts on the CNC. If you search our archives there are probably many more pictures of the Wooden Memories animals that my Dad and I made in the past.

Matthew Curtis
05-09-2019, 12:06 PM
so why can t i see the pics?

Rod Sheridan
05-09-2019, 3:38 PM
so why can t i see the pics?
Because you're not a contributor.

I suggest you pay $6 for a year and you'll have full privileges.................Regards, Rod.

Mike Monroe
05-09-2019, 4:46 PM
I made the following years ago. I had a local Amish shop make the leather saddle and reins. I used some old dry construction grade SPF 2x10's I had laying around, added a rustic touch to the piece.

https://store.woodsmith.com/product/rockinghorse

Eduard Nemirovsky
05-09-2019, 9:41 PM
I made this one about two years ago from plan in Woodsmith magazine.
Ed.409583

Marcia Szarek
05-09-2019, 11:34 PM
Thank You Keith for the information.

Marcia Szarek
05-09-2019, 11:38 PM
The saddle and reins sound nice, any pictures of them?

Marcia Szarek
05-09-2019, 11:40 PM
Very nice!