PDA

View Full Version : A/C Question

Wes Bischel
04-19-2007, 7:13 PM
OK, I'm getting quotes on replacing my ailing A/C unit. The latest contractor is specifying Armstrong equipment. I have never heard of them. Has anyone had experience with their equipment? I really don't want to go through the whole hassle of replacing everything in a few years.

http://www.armstrongair.com/residential.php

Any info would be great.
Thanks,
Wes
Edit/Delete Message

Leo Pashea
04-19-2007, 8:45 PM
Armstrong is a division of Lennox. My experience with Lennox is that they make very good HVAC equipment. In my neck of the woods, Lennox is a very popular choice, and many reputable dealers use them on medium to very high end residential applications. (I have Lennox in my home, and it has been trouble free.) I would look into warranty details, and make sure you have a dealer that will service what they sell and stand behind you and the products.

Al Willits
04-20-2007, 9:28 AM
Sometimes Lennox can be part specific, meaning the genaric parts that are advailible won't fit them, not always a good thing on a sunday when its 98 degree's out and you have company....something to think about.

We don't see much of Armstong here, but the Lennox units seem to work well.
I lean towards the Rheem or Ruud line (same company) but I think you'll find its a Ford/Chevy thing with most.

Are you changing your furnace also?
Remember there's more to this than slapping a AC unit in, and away ya go, there's proper sizing for the house and furnace, airflow, freon used, if your gonna keep the inside unit/evaporator make sure the freon that the old unit and new are the same, manufacturs do not recommend mixing a r-22 evap with a 410-a condensing unit.

Good luck

Al

Wes Bischel
04-20-2007, 7:54 PM
Thanks for the info. We have a split system - boiler for the hot water baseboard, and the A/C has a separate air handler. The existing unit has been adequate for cooling the house efficiently so sizing shouldn't bee an issue - though I have had the contractors double check the calculations. We are going to replace both units since the biggest problem has been the unit leaking down. I have also been asking for the R410 - might as well get it over with now, rather than have to dump the system in ten years.:rolleyes: The contractor quoting the Armstrong equipment has a good reputation, and the warranty on the unit is 1 year labor, 5 years on parts and 10 on the compressor.
In my research, I did come across the fact that these units use a Copeland scroll compressor which I have seen called out in a number of different brands. That should at least be of some comfort.
I have had two quotes so far - this one from a small local guy at $3,800, and another from a large firm for a Carrier unit at $5,600. Hence my question about the equipment.
Thanks again for your input,
Wes

Rob Wright
04-20-2007, 10:57 PM
Wes,

I built in 2005. My spec for HVAC went out a a number of reputable dealers in the area for quotes and received every brand imaginable back from them. I also had not heard of Armstrong, did some reading and looked at a few other installs in the area from the contractor. After seeing the units and comparing the costs with the other brands, I chose Armstrong based on cost and value. 4 others in my sub-division also went with an Armstrong. We have been happy with it and have not heard of any complaints from our other neighbors. My $0.02 for free! - Rob

Matt Meiser
04-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Both our current house and our previous house have Armstrong AC units. The previous house had an Armstrong furnace too. Knock on wood we never had problems with any of the equipment except for a failed controller unit on the furnace. That was a standard Honeywell part which the tech was able to replace on a Sunday (when my daughter was 4 days old, otherwise I would have waited.)

Carroll Courtney
04-23-2007, 8:09 PM
Wes,what's more important is who is installing the system,and not the brand name.The person installing the system will have more control as to how long the unit will last.A good install will put things in your favor to have yrs of trouble free cooling and heat.Most units have just about the same components.Some have high and low pressure switches and others don't.Copeland Scrolls compressors are better than most even though they all carry 5yr warranty.If there is a problem w/ the compressor,there will still be a charge for labor and material.Only the compressor is covered.Be sure and put a good eye on the installation and ask questions.When I done that for a living, I enjoyed the questions,because the more the customer knows,they can tell the "fly by nites" and the companys that really wanted to be there for them the next time.

Wes Bischel
04-25-2007, 7:00 PM
Thanks for all the input and guidance, it is most appreciated. We need to get on the ball here before it gets too hot and get this thing replaced!

Thanks again,
Wes