PDA

View Full Version : Plane Till

Kevin French
04-19-2007, 5:49 PM
I've needed a till for my planes for some time now. I found an oak 'Cash Drawer Case' that I picked up for the wood. But with dados 4" on center I wasn't sure what I would be able to make out of it.
I alway thought I wanted a sloped Till, but this case present the opertunity to make make a till with materials on hand.
The side of the case were 19" and I ripped three pieces out of each side of the case. I made the till in thres sections Jionters, 5s and 4 and below. Once I got the till made, being a bit anal, I added the brass slides so I could ID each plane by #,Type, and years of manufacture.
The bottom row I put my saw sets until I make a Saw Set Till.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/sweeper54/PlaneTill3.jpg

Ryan Cathey
04-19-2007, 6:49 PM
Nice collection and till!! Is that a 10 1/4 I see on the left(second one up)?

Kevin French
04-19-2007, 7:40 PM
You people have good eyes, someone on WC spotted it also. From what I've learned about it, it's an early model wo/ spurs.

Clint Jones
04-19-2007, 7:48 PM
Do you want to get rid of it??? I got a No.2C SW I'll trade you for it :D .

Kevin French
04-19-2007, 7:53 PM
Thanks but I believe I'll hang on to it, besides I already ave a #2 SW w/a partial label.

Brian Kent
04-19-2007, 8:09 PM
Where will you put the rest of your planes - the ones you don't own yet?

Seriously - beautiful work and a beautiful collection.

Ryan Cathey
04-19-2007, 9:37 PM
I think you did it on purpose. I mean really who stores their 10 1/4 with the knob tilted like that?...yeah, you wanted us to see it. *Quick hijack attempt* Speaking of spurs, do the spurs from a 78 fit a 191?

Mark Stutz
04-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Very nice collection.
what kind is the ?jointer ?No. 6,with the ribs on the back? Nice till as well.

Mark

Ryan Cathey
04-19-2007, 10:05 PM
I could be wrong Mark, but I'm pretty sure that's a Sheffield, England Stanley.

Jason Beam
04-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Very nice looking hangar (for planes, get it!?) ... Yeah, guess who's new :P

You guys sure know yer planes ... soon as Ryan asked, I looked and noticed the tilted knob. I wouldn't even know what the 10 1/4 is if not for my recent trip to the edge of the abyss (ebay) and seeing those things go for upwards of $400 in some cases.

Having only a very limited collection myself (6 if you coun't my #80 and #12 scrapers), it's hard to read this and resist the urge to go pick up a couple others. So far, I've been very good at buying "Justifiable" items ... the #12 may have been a bit much, I will admit. If this keeps up, I'm gonna need a hangar, too! :D

Dave Anderson NH
04-20-2007, 9:22 AM
Nicely done Kevin, when does stage 2 get built? That probably doesn't hold even a third of the planes you have.

For those of you who don't know Kevin, he is one of the ultimate recyclers. Almost every one of the planes in that till was from the dump. I don't live that far from him, but so far no luck. He guards the location of that place like it was a gold mine......obviously it is.:D

Kevin French
04-20-2007, 2:01 PM
Brian- That why the label are paper and in slides, if I find a better one, one comes out. Beside how many planes does one need to have that you can't walk a few more step to another cabinet to get one.

Ryan- No Clue on the # 78 Spurs fitting a 191

Mark- the #6 was made in England, no clue really how old it is but if I had to guess I'd say it's in the years of a type 19, 1948-61.

Dave- Thanks, maybe 1/2 is closer, but after these the quality goes downhill fast. And as I've said before, 'How many fisherman would tell you where their favorite Fish'n Hole is.