PDA

View Full Version : Project in Progress - Finish Advice

Carl Eyman
04-19-2007, 2:00 PM
The jewelry box pictured is a project in progress for my younger granddaughter. As you can probably see it is mahogany. My usual finish would be a water borne dye (probably Transtint), pore filler (also water soluble), shelac sealer, varnish, rubbing down.

I am looking for suggestions for a more appropriate finish for a small item like this.

By the way, the interior of the drawers will be felt lined. The plywood of the drawer bodies will be painted with a flat black. I'll want to prime the plywood so the paint looks seamless. Any suggestions?

Only one of the lions will guard the top. G.D. likes lions; so I'm trying to learn to carve one. The light colored one is bass wood and is my practice piece. The mahogany lion is not as far along but should be the permanent occupant.

Matt Day
04-19-2007, 4:15 PM
I don't see a picture?:confused:

Carl Eyman
04-19-2007, 4:50 PM
See if this works

Steve Schoene
04-20-2007, 6:55 AM
What is it about your "standard" finish that you don't think is appropriate?

Carl Eyman
04-20-2007, 12:48 PM
I was trying to see if there was an easier way. This AM I tried, dye, filler, and shellac. It looks like a possibility. Since abrasion resistance should not be too important, maybe I can use multiple coats of shellac and rub them down with 4/0 steelwool and oil.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Carl....I do mainly turning but of all the things I've used in finishing.....shellac has definitely become my favorite. A year ago, I'd never used shellac and now it's my "go to" finish for something that won't be handled that much.

Steve Schoene
04-20-2007, 10:02 PM
I like shellac. You only need the varnish if you expect this will be used in a context where things like nail polish remover are a threat.

Carl Eyman
04-21-2007, 1:50 PM
I didn't want to buy a whole quart of filler for this little project so I am trying to use a quart of Behlen's natural (color) I had on hand. I've never used this before. I Tried coloring it with Transtint, but it still is showing up as almost white under the shellac. I tried filling first, sanding, and then dying and that looks pretty good on the 6"x 6" sAmple. But I've had some terrible results trying to stain over filler and am afraid to try it on the finished piece. Maybe this particular water based fille can be dyed. Anyone have experience in this?