PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening - continued

Carl Eyman
12-29-2003, 1:35 PM
About a month ago I asked a bunch of questions about Wolverine, grinders, etc. and got a bunch of good answers. Well, Santa provided the 8" slow speed grinder and I am ordering the wolverine jig and Vari-Grind. Should I also get the Wolverine wheel dresser for about $65 considering I have a carbide one and can get diamond dressers for under $25? Is there something special about the Wolverine?

Steve Roxberg
12-29-2003, 1:39 PM
About a month ago I asked a bunch of questions about Wolverine, grinders, etc. and got a bunch of good answers. Well, Santa provided the 8" slow speed grinder and I am ordering the wolverine jig and Vari-Grind. Should I also get the Wolverine wheel dresser for about $65 considering I have a carbide one and can get diamond dressers for under $25? Is there something special about the Wolverine?

I own the Wolverine dresser and don't like it as much as a $10 dollar one I bought from Woodcraft. In hind sight I'd buy the cheap one and be happy. The Wolverine does help to get a square face, but the other works as well. Just my experience.

Jim Becker
12-29-2003, 2:01 PM
I find the OneWay dresser to be useful for re-flattening the stone, but do quick touch-ups with a tee-shaped diamond dresser. The OneWay dresser is much more precise, but not absolutely necessary if your money is tight.

Ace Karner
12-29-2003, 8:39 PM
I use the cheap diamond dresser but let me tell ya this you are going to love the wolverine system, i sharpen gouges every 10 Min's or so now, takes about a minute and my turning has improved immensely.

Dale Thompson
12-29-2003, 9:46 PM
Carl,
I use a cheap diamond dresser. Some of the books I've read by the pros say that the old multi-wheel "sparkers" are all that you need. In fact, some of those guys even RECOMMEND them. I love my Wolverine but $65 for a wheel cleaner is a bit steep. I guess I just dislike cleaning my wheel more than almost anything else that I do in ww. The dust just can't be captured and is really nasty. I would much rather put $65 into cleaning up the operation than performing it. Just my $.02. :(

Dale T.