PDA

View Full Version : Lever Caps

Ron Brese
04-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Well it seems to be week with a lot of discussion about lever caps and the fabrication of such. Here are some that I've made this week.

Ron Brese

Zahid Naqvi
04-19-2007, 12:19 PM
sweeeeeeeeeet!

Brian Kent
04-19-2007, 4:04 PM
So nice, Ron. Does this mean you are on your way to making 9 planes???

Ron Brese
04-19-2007, 6:34 PM
I'm always making planes, if I had nine more I wouldn't have to stop to sharpen very often. LOL

Paul Erickson
04-19-2007, 7:01 PM
Ron,

Do you make your own Lever Cap Screws, or do you have a source for them?

cheers, Paul

Ron Brese
04-19-2007, 8:26 PM
Paul those are a stainless steel fastener that I buy and then modify.

Ron

Ben Grunow
04-19-2007, 9:25 PM
Those are sweet and I dream of making my own planes and parts but wouldnt this http://mortonmachine.thomasnet.com/viewitems/thumb-screws-standard-thumb-screws/standard-stainless-steel-thumb-screws?&forward=1 be easier.

Maybe I am missing the point of the post.

I made my own blast gates and found them for next to nothing online. I think this is a question of the the availability of time and thus the value $ of time.

Just thinking out loud.

Ben

Paul Erickson
04-20-2007, 1:01 AM
Paul those are a stainless steel fastener that I buy and then modify.

Ron

More details please...

cheers, Paul

Steve knight
04-20-2007, 1:33 AM
did you cnc them? with my mill/dril lI can't do curves like that., wonder if I can do them on my cnc router?

Ron Brese
04-20-2007, 9:01 AM
Paul the mods to the lever cap screws are necessary because when received they have just crude milled surfaces. I break the top edge over a good bit and then spend a good bit of time polishing them to make them easier on the hands and eyes, and just to bring them up to a finished standard that equals the rest of the plane or the lever cap.

Paul Erickson
04-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Paul the mods to the lever cap screws are necessary because when received they have just crude milled surfaces. I break the top edge over a good bit and then spend a good bit of time polishing them to make them easier on the hands and eyes, and just to bring them up to a finished standard that equals the rest of the plane or the lever cap.

Thanks Ron, sorry, I was too vague. Are they stainless bolts or some other sort of fastener? Are they readily available or do you have a particular source?

Thanks for the time.

cheers, Paul

Mike Weaver
04-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks Ron, sorry, I was too vague. Are they stainless bolts or some other sort of fastener? Are they readily available or do you have a particular source?

Thanks for the time.

cheers, Paul

Paul, the site posted earlier has brass ones too:
http://mortonmachine.thomasnet.com/viewitems/thumb-screws-standard-thumb-screws/brass-knurled-head-thumb-screws?&forward=1

-Mike

Ron Brese
04-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Ben and Mike, I looked at the link for knurled head screws 1/4-20 was the largest size and that would only work on a plane with a 1 1/4 inch iron. Once you fit a lever cap for 1 1/2" wide iron you really need to move up to a 5/16-18 screw minimum and for full size planes you'll need a 3/8-16. MSC and McMaster Carr are good sources for off the shelf screws for these sizes.

Ron Brese