PDA

View Full Version : Blade arbor hole size change local?

Randal Stevenson
04-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Does anyone know if any of their local blade sharpening places do arbor boring? I'd rather ask here first then get a blank stare.

Neighbor has some old tablesaw (I don't know brand or type, suspect OLD Craftsman the way he's talked), that uses a 10" blade, but has a 3/4" arbor (definately NOT a 5/8").

His old blade (may be original to the saw), is WAY tired as he hadn't done anything in years, then started doing a bunch of remodeling (I help him, he helps me). He's seen me trying a few things getting ready for my kitchen project, and got the bug again (empty nester).

Thanks

Dave Falkenstein
04-19-2007, 11:18 AM
I mentioned arbor boring to the local sharpener I do business with, and he said the tolerances are very critical and he does not do it. I do know that Forrest will drill a blade to whatever arbor size you need.

Ed Blough
04-19-2007, 11:31 AM
In this area the bigger commercial shops all do arbor boring. I don't think most small mom & pop businesses have the machines to do it. But the bigger shops the ones than manufacture blades or are able to weld carbide cutters back on usually are able to do this.

Also a good machine shop should be able to bore you arbor. They certainly have the percision to do it.

Rick Lizek
04-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Some do it in house, while most send it out to an outside machine shop. I've got blades with all arbor sizes from 5/8" to 1-1/4" as well as 30 mm and 25 mm. I've got bushings to put most any blade on any saw arbor in the shop.

Mike Henderson
04-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know if any of their local blade sharpening places do arbor boring? I'd rather ask here first then get a blank stare.

Neighbor has some old tablesaw (I don't know brand or type, suspect OLD Craftsman the way he's talked), that uses a 10" blade, but has a 3/4" arbor (definately NOT a 5/8").

His old blade (may be original to the saw), is WAY tired as he hadn't done anything in years, then started doing a bunch of remodeling (I help him, he helps me). He's seen me trying a few things getting ready for my kitchen project, and got the bug again (empty nester).

Thanks
I don't know any local places but I think I remember that Forrest will make a blade with any size hole.

But he might be better off in the long run to buy a new table saw.

Mike

Charles McCracken
04-19-2007, 3:28 PM
You can order blades with special bore sizes from many manufacturers (including Freud).