PDA

View Full Version : help with a cole/ scroll chuck

Bill O'Conner
04-19-2007, 8:04 AM
I just got the jumbo flat jaws for my scroll chuck. so here is the trouble I'm having the bowl I made is 6 3/8 but the chuck starts at 6 5/8 all the way closed between the pins and the next set of holes only opens to 6 1/8 all the open. Am I gonna have to make new pins which I figure I'm gonna so what would the best way to do this. I was thinking make them out of a hard wood about a 1/2 inch with a groove for a thick o-ring or could I make them out of corain? The old pins feel like they are made with a rubber coating , so I'm wondering if I need to make them from a softer wood to keep from maring the finish on my bowl

thanks
Bill

Kevin McPeek
04-19-2007, 9:27 AM
You'll want to ditch the rubber ones anyway, they tend to leave nice black marks all over piece. Corian, Nylon, Delrin are all good choices wood works and seems to be plentiful around here.

Ralph Lindberg
04-19-2007, 9:36 AM
Bill, try grinding a flat spot on the stoppers. It's the only way I have been able to fit some pieces.
Going to some other material is not a bad idea either, either in multiple diameters or with flat spots

Lee DeRaud
04-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I got some threaded nylon spacers at Ace Hardware, they're 3/8" OD, available in various lengths. They also sell 3/8" ID clear tubing: cut lengths of that to match the length of the spacer and attach with a dot of CA.

Bill O'Conner
04-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks Guys for the help got the bowl done now just have to get the buffer set up to finish the finish on it

BIll

Ken M Nelsen
04-20-2007, 8:19 PM
Bill,

Ain't it the pits! All those stops and gaps between. I've made a set of sleeves from vinyl tubing which slip tight over the rubber stops for the big gaps and have multi-wrapped the piece with tape for the small ones. Both work well.

I do have a set of Longworths on the to-do list, however. They will take care of this problem once and for all!

Ken