PDA

View Full Version : Some pens

Michael Graning
04-19-2007, 7:01 AM
Here are some pens I have turned in the last couple of weeks. First is a corn cob with a Sierra kit, second is a slimline done on my Legacy machine, third is a Sierra and Atlas acrylics.

Marc Martindale
04-19-2007, 7:18 AM
All very cool Michael, I especially like the rope slimline.

Bill O'Conner
04-19-2007, 7:45 AM
I like the corn cob one any tips on how to keep them from blowing up I tried one in a cigar but it ended up turning the one tube in to a key chain becuase I had a tube blow up on me:confused: :)

Thanks
Bill

Joash Boyton
04-19-2007, 8:20 AM
Hey, nice idea....I bet you had a few touchy moments with the slimline, and I really like the acrylics...not sure about the corn cob one though JMHO....probably because I've had too many bad experiences with my pen-cob turning...hehe:D

Gary Herrmann
04-19-2007, 8:22 AM
I really like the slimline done on the legacy mill. Very nice job indeed.

Grant Wilkinson
04-19-2007, 9:04 AM
Michael

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Legacy machine?

Can you tell me, also, where you got the mechanism for the pen on the far right? That finish is one that I've not seen before - sort of champagne colour from the looks of it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Beautiful work Michael! Each is unique but really drawn to the corn cob pen. Seriously nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2007, 1:37 PM
Those are some beauties Michael. Nice job.

Michael Graning
04-19-2007, 4:22 PM
Thank you for the comments. First that is my first corn cob pen and I just did what others told me, is to soak it in thin CA turn a little and add more CA until done, it is a CA finish also. Second, you can see about the Legacy here at http://www.legacywoodworking.com/. Third, the kit is a Satin Copper Big A from http://www.beartoothwoods.com/.

Bob Hallowell
04-19-2007, 4:27 PM
Mike, Nice pens
I simpler way to do the corn cob is soak it over night in miniwax wood hardner. works great.

Bob

Keith Burns
04-19-2007, 5:10 PM
Great pens Michael !! I too really like the slimline. Great idea!:) :)

Ron Raymond
04-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Great pens, Michael...and I agree with the others on the Legacy milled pen...it's extra special.

Jonathon Spafford
04-20-2007, 4:02 AM
I like the corn cob one any tips on how to keep them from blowing up I tried one in a cigar but it ended up turning the one tube in to a key chain becuase I had a tube blow up on me:confused: :)

Thanks
Bill

Blowing up during drilling will happen if you are not clearing the chips out properly and forcing the bit into the corncob... during turning you'll need to soak it in ca glue to keep it from breaking.

All the pens look great Michael! The corncob is really cool, but that twist pen is awesome! Beautiful work! What is the finish?

Michael Graning
04-20-2007, 3:53 PM
on the rope pen all that I used was wax. When I make some more I will lacquer them, because I don't think I could get a good CA finish on them. On the cob it is a CA finish and on the acrylics it is MM thru 12000.

Ken LaSota
04-20-2007, 5:44 PM
Michael great looking pens.
Ken