PDA

View Full Version : Oak Bowl - first pics

Tom Keen
04-19-2007, 5:50 AM
Ive mainly been lurking and learning. But, Im getting better and finally made a bowl that I was excited about. Its 8.5 x 3.5 x 3.5", finished with antique oil and buffed.

The wood came from our woods, cut last fall - Its red oak taken from a crotch. Ive got mixed feeling about oak. It looks great when its done, I like the smell and appreciate the way it cuts. But, its messy and hard..really hard.

Thanks for looking! (excuse the image quality)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w46/TomGK/oakbowl3.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w46/TomGK/oakbowl2.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w46/TomGK/oakbowl1.jpg

Christopher K. Hartley
04-19-2007, 6:09 AM
Tom, Great job with a great wood!!!:D I mean it Oak is a wonderful wood to turn. and this bowl is a beauty. I love the form and the rim treatment. Watch it over the next weeks, if it wasn't totally dry that red oak will move on you and possibly to the point of cracking. Don't get disappointed if that happens just learn from it about how to treat the oak prior to final turn. As for hard wood, My Friend, you haven't seen hard wood yet. Go and turn some live oak when it is dry. It makes hickory feel like a watermelon. The live oak I speak of is the variety with the big sprawling branches that get very big and very old.:)

George Tokarev
04-19-2007, 7:06 AM
White oak it appears. Good presentation of the figure. Every time I try something like that I'm too high and have bark pockets or too low and lose the feathers. Hoping you dried the stuff in the rough over the winter rather than in the lump. With those big holes in it, oak doesn't get the capillary draw other woods get. I've opened oak three years split and found a visibly wet core. Black ash is the same way.

Bob Hallowell
04-19-2007, 8:31 AM
Tom, wonderful bowl!

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
04-19-2007, 8:36 AM
Very nice bowl Tom! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Steve Schlumpf
04-19-2007, 8:48 AM
Beautiful bowl Tom! Love the grain pattern. Nice form and finish! Really good work! You need to start posting more often!

Tom Keen
04-19-2007, 9:58 AM
This piece was soaked in DNA and sat for awhile. I waited because I was hoping my skills catch up to the woods potential :)

I really appreciate the comments, thanks! Ive been working on a few little boxes and will post some more pics

Keith Burns
04-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Tom you have a winner with this piece. Great job on showing off the grain, great form and a wonderful finish.:)

Ken LaSota
04-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Great job Tom I love the graining keep at it . It becomes more fun as you go try some other woods and try them when their green you will really have some fun.
Ken

Paul Engle
04-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Nice piece Tom, I have done so much f..t work with Oak over the last 15 yrs that when turning it I enjoy it very much. I like your bowl, you got the feather perfect up the middle NICE JOB, I like the shape and the finish , Oak finishes soooooo nice when done right. Keep up the good work.:D

Mike Vickery
04-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Very nice bowl you got their.

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2007, 1:35 PM
Tom the bowl is a beauty. I also like the rim treatment and nice finish. Nice job.

Brett Baldwin
04-19-2007, 2:22 PM
I can see why you were excited. That bowl is a beauty. Well done.

Tom Sherman
04-19-2007, 8:36 PM
I agree Tom, a very nice bowl. Keep up the good work.

Jonathon Spafford
04-20-2007, 3:52 AM
What a wonderful bowl... that bit of figure is really beautiful! Great shape and finish... keep 'em comin'!!!!!!!

Neal Addy
04-20-2007, 10:46 AM
Nice work, Tom! Very pretty piece.

Mark Cothren
04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey Tom, that is a nice bowl there! All kinds of good stuff to see. Nice work.