PDA

View Full Version : OK : Tell me your New Years "Shop" Resolutions....Here are mine!

Mark Singer
12-29-2003, 9:40 AM
Well,
<h1>Resolution #1</h1>
I have been very bad at keeping my shop clean.....little scraps of wood here...and there....and under the workbench...empty boxes from my last Lee Valley order in the corner....collecting dust... Glue bottles without caps... lots of saw dust on top of stuff...

I said to myself <h2>"Mark, you have a beautiful shop, keep it clean!"</h2>

<h1>It will be safer! </H1>I won't be tripping and droping Bosch sanders on the floor tripping over the cords...its amazing I have done some decent work in such a messy place! <h1>No more!</h1>

<h2>I have it pretty neat now and I will keep it that way.</h2>

<h1>Resolution #2</h1>
Finish my daughters closet!
I started it about a year and a half ago....lets finish it!

<h1>Resolution#3</h1>
Work stations for my architectural studio. Mark come on , its a beautiful space....what is with the cheap 15 year old dated, black laminate crap!
I will design and build new work stations! I will need 5 of them and one
materials/model table....<h2>poor assistants have been waiting 3 years...that is long enough!</h2>

I will show you the progress with photos as I proceed. If you don't see anything soon...<h2>send me a little " wake up" private message!</h2>

<h1>Now lets hear your New Years Shop Resolutions.....</h1>

Tyler Howell
12-29-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm going to try to emulate some of you wood wizards
TJH

Jim Becker
12-29-2003, 11:42 AM
Mine are as follows:

1) Get back to my 6 Nakashima Mira-style chairs as long as my wrist will take the neander work on the seats. This project has been sitting incomplete for far too long

2) Get the remaining poplar and walnut off the pile, into the shop and skim planed before it mutates into some other material

3) Upgrade the DC system to the 2hp Commercial unit so that the "aircraft carrier" gets the air flow it needs when working on a wide board

4) Spend more time in the shop during the week...hard to do sometimes, but important. When that's not possible, speed up getting new content on the web site...that work is getting behinder and behinder...

5) Continue to make every project have something challenging so the learning process continues. This one is the most important resolution of them all

Mark Singer
12-29-2003, 11:53 AM
I'm going to try to emulate some of you wood wizards
TJH
Tyler ,
Thanks...your very kind have a great new year!
Mark

Mark Singer
12-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Jim,
I love your website... I want to see your chairs they sound great... I thought of another one for me...my photo on The SawMIll....coming soon
Thanks and Happy New Year...
Mark

Bob Lasley
12-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Mark,

I don't know how resolved I am, but here are some of my shop plans for 2004 in no particular order:

Finish building my shop cabinets.
Get dust collection hard piped.
Build blanket chest for SWMBO.
Build my version of antique drop leaf table.
Build chairs and possibly new table for dining room.
Above all, have fun doing all these things.

Bob

Julie Wright
12-29-2003, 12:22 PM
1. Work on Shop, Need wall cabinets
2. Practice, practice practice on the Lathe
3. Complete Kitchen and bathroom remodel, been sitting idle way to long

and to Borrow one from Bob
Above all, have fun doing all these things.

Mike Evertsen
12-29-2003, 12:27 PM
finish painting the upstairs,,
finish painting the shop,,,
upgrade my tools to newer and better,,
build two bedroom sets,,,
build a dining room set,,,
add on to the shop,,,
there's alot more on the list and if get just a few things done it will be a good year,,,,

Mike Cutler
12-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Get the 6 hickory logs and 2 pear tree logs I have quartersawn. Figure out a way to get my Jet 14" BS to resaw properly ,or get another BS specifically for resawing. Make a Limbert inspired desk for the computer. And finally, to quit being so impatient and or lazy, and use more handtools. Mostly tho' I just hope to have fun,relieve stress and have a creative outlet. Oh yeah, to have all 10 digits at this time next year to type another resolution list.

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-29-2003, 12:39 PM
My New Years Resolution is to keep doing what I have been doing for the past 43 years of my life. What the heck, I am happy, and it has worked this long! :D (I quit making the cliche "Resolutions" a loooong time ago, because I don't keep them anyway!) :rolleyes:

JayStPeter
12-29-2003, 1:22 PM
I don't make resoultions. I do set goals for the important things in life and try to meet them, but nothing to do with new years. I have learned not to set goals when it comes to hobbies that are for fun. Like Kevin, I have plans (or schemes as it were) for woodworking.
My plans for the near future are:
1. To get my shop built. It's now an unfinished basement. I actually do have a house related goal here and that is to have it framed and drywalled by April 1.
2. Make some nice stuff and improve my skills. Particularly my neander skills.
3. Learn to deal with figured woods, including making and using my own resawn veneer.
4. Upgrade my tool collection (told you I have schemes) by specing my projects to require a new piece of equipment :)
5. Try my hand at spray finishing (relates to #4).

Most importantly, keep it fun by not moving too fast, not setting deadlines, not having goals, not being obsessed, and attempting not to expect too much of myself. This one is the toughest because I've usually turned my hobbies into competitive all consuming activities that sucked all the fun out of them.

Have a happy new year everyone.

Jay

Mark Singer
12-29-2003, 2:14 PM
Really good ideas! If its not fun... what is the point!
Happy Holidays and nEW yEAR!!!
Mark

Mark Singer
12-29-2003, 2:16 PM
WOW!
Ambitious....
Happy New Year Mike,
Mark

Tom Sweeney
12-29-2003, 2:59 PM
To completely rework my shop area. Currently it is a small, messy portion of a 2 car garage with 2 electric outlets & no lighting. I would like to completely pull everything out then build cabinets, benches & other storage areas. Then I would like to fix the roof on my other garage so I can move all of the non shop items out, including my unrestored Mustang, & set up the shop so I can go out and just get back to working on whatever project is in progress, instead of taking 45 minutes to find everything & get set up first. If I can get this all done then This will really become an enjoyable hobby & respite from day to day stuff.

I would also like to upgrade my Lathe & turning tools/equipment - but I don't really see that happening in the near future.

As I say to my 15 yr old Daughter - Have fun, be young but don't do anything dumb! (Unfortunately I don't always follow my own advice :rolleyes: )

Glenn Clabo
12-29-2003, 3:13 PM
The same as every year...
Enjoy and be thankful for everyday...just in case it's the last one I get.

Dennis Peacock
12-29-2003, 3:36 PM
Spend time with the family as the kids will only be kids for a short while longer.

Spend time in the shop wisely and improve my skills as much as possible during each project.

And do like Glenn Clabo stated: Enjoy and be thankful for everyday...just in case it's the last one I get.

Mark Singer
12-29-2003, 3:36 PM
Nah,,,,Woodworkers live a long time! Dust and all!
Happy New year
Mark

Ron Meadows
12-29-2003, 5:10 PM
I'm not normally a sentimental type, but my only resolution is to spoil my 2 girls (2 1/2 year old Valerie and #2 due in April) completely rotten. My shop time has became practically nonexistant since Valerie's arrival, but ya know.....I don't really mind that much.

I know that eventually I'll get to make some more dust.

Happy Holidays,

Ron

Mark Singer
12-29-2003, 8:33 PM
Ron ,
Enjoy them...it is a breif season in a parents life. My daugther is 28 and my son 30...both wonderful and best of all they live here in Laguna..
Happy New Year
Mark

Sam Chambers
12-29-2003, 8:59 PM
1. Get the back well enough to get back in the shop at all.

2. Finish the drill press table (currently in a half-assembled state), build a lumber rack.

3. Get started on the set of bunk beds that I owe my 9 year-old step son.

4. Last but not least, continue getting my woodworking jollies by visiting here often!

Ryan Singer
12-30-2003, 1:36 AM
I guess we all need our little resolutions for the shop...

that is,... if you have a shop:mad:..

I am not blessed with the types of shops I have seen here and so my resolutions are the following:

1. work on building some of the projects I have been thinking about.. they are only ideas until made real..

2. organize my tools.. I don't have many so that should be easy. hey dad, I think you have some of my tools,.. i know you use my architecture T square in your shop...

3. make a little more time so I can help my dad... dad, you need my help.. I noticed your workmanship isn't the same when I'm not around... maybe that could be just because you have waited so long to finish and you are impatient

that's it for my shopless resolutions.. I guess I can add one more.

4. help keep dad's shop clean! I know what this means to you dad's out there...;)

till next year...

hopefully I will have a shop of my own by then

Ken Salisbury
12-30-2003, 6:01 AM
The only New Years resolution I have is make it to 2005 :D

Ace Karner
12-30-2003, 9:08 AM
I resolve not to give advice unless it is asked for, and if I have nothing nice to say to just Shut UP!

John Scarpa
01-02-2004, 5:11 PM
Resolution #1 Get that shop set up before Spring!

Resolution #2 Get more familiar with SMC's interface, photo up loading and get an avatar loaded.